The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hi.. i'm new here!!

Okej!! thanks i'm gonna lock into that right now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hehe i noticed that it was some time ago since i wrote here last time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To answer an old question here, no i don't have a lambda sensor on my VR-4, i have discovered that there isn't any major differences between the US VR-4 and my VR-4 that is from an arabia country!!

So far i have discovered that the only differences is that my VR-4 don't have ABS brakes and that i don't have a lambda sensor and that i have those tiny little chrome side marks!! My VR-4 don't have leather interior as the US version have.. this is what i have discovered so far!! The engine is the same as the US VR-4 which those blue 450cc injectors and the TD05H 14b turbo!!

Now i have some questions witch i hope that some of you guys and girls can help me with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif On our gearboxes there is an identification number under the thermostat House, What number does the US VR-4 have on the gearbox?? is it different numbers or doe they all have the same numbers?? It's the numbers AFTER W5M33 what i mean!! Thanks for all the help that you can give me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

// Wolfy from Sweden /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No one that can share some numbers from the gearbox??

The reason why i wonder about this is because i was informed that some previous owner of this car has changed the gearbox from the original to one NEW Mitsubishi's Rally gearbox and that he had to change something (Don't know the word in English) i the rear axle to make everything work properly..

Last edited by a moderator:

misterfixit

If you post the model code (0n the vin tag under model) I can look it up for you. All had W5M33 boxes.

E39ASNPFR (Genral export May 1990 ON)
E39ASNPFR1D (as above June 1991 on)
E39ASNPFLW (GCC may 1990 on)
E39ASNPFR8 (Aussie May 1990 on)

For model code

E39 = 1997cc Petrol,4wd, 4ws.
A = Passenger car
S = Sedan
N = Manual
P = VR4 Only (may 1990 on)
F = Intercooler
L = Left hand drive, R = Right hand drive
1D = Hong Kong, W = GCC, 8 = Australia, ( ) = Genral except HK and Oz.

Rich

holeshotmoe

The stock US gvr4 trans numbers are:
W5M33-2-NQBK 1991-92 to 4/92 VR4/ZR4 Galant
W5M33-2-NQBM 1992 Galant to 5/92

Ratios:
1st 2.846
2nd 1.684
3rd 1.115
4th 0.833
5th 0.666
Rev 3.166
T. Case 1.090

Final trans ratio is 4.933

Your previous owner probably changed the gears in the rear to match the ratio in your replacement transmission. What is the number on your trans?

Last edited:

misterfixit

Not strictly correct.

There are a few more versions. 3 ratio sets.

For export (GCC, General export, HK(SEE EXCEPTION)
1991, W5M33-2-NQZK
1st, 2.846
2nd, 1.684
3rd, 1.115
4th, 0.833
5th, 0.651
rev, 3.168
T/F, 1.090
1992, W5M33-2-NQBM
W5M33-2-NQZK
W5M33-2-NQZM
1st, 2.846
2nd, 1.684
3rd, 1.115
4th, 0.833
5th, 0.666
rev, 3.166
T/F, 1.090

For Australia
1991, W5M33-2-NQZK
1st, 2.846
2nd, 1.684
3rd, 1.115
4th, 0.833
5th, 0.651
rev, 3.166
T/F, 1.090
1992, W5M33-2-NQZK
1st, 2.846
2nd, 1.684
3rd, 1.115
4th, 0.833
5th, 0.666
rev, 3.166
T/F, 1.090

One other set of ratios were available for export.
code not known, ratios as follows:
1st, 2.916
2nd, 1.684
3rd, 1.115
4th, 0.883
5th, 0.666
rev, 3.166
T/F, 1.090

All the above use 3.545 rear end.

Rich

On my Gearbox it says first W5M332WQYK and under that it says QT6625...

According to him it's Mitsubishi's Rally gear box... is this right??

misterfixit

Thats a 9008.1->9203.3 VR4 RS Box. With more time I'll trace the internals and see if I can give you the Ratios and the rear end.

Rich

Quote:
Thats a 9008.1->9203.3 VR4 RS Box. With more time I'll trace the internals and see if I can give you the Ratios and the rear end.

Rich

OK thanks Rich!! I really appreciate that info and help and thanks to the other people with those other help and info!!

Yes Rich i would really appreciate if you could get that info for me!!

How do i do if i need some parts like a new rear end or a new gearbox or something?? Is there anyone that have a part number on this gearbox and rear end or is there some kind of CAPS with the VR-4 RS on and it's part numbers?? I actually just need those part numbers for the gear box and the rear end in case this one on my car broke's...

I have another question about that gearbox, what is the differentness between the RS box and the "normal" box??

Is the RS box stronger than the "normal" box or what is it that make this one "special" if you know what i mean??

I have now find out that i also have a VR-4 RS ECU in my car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

misterfixit

md165808?, check if the injectors are yellow topped too! I'm still working on tying down the gearbox internals..

Rich

No on my ECU it says MD180309 and according to Mitsubishi it is the RS box (Or isn't it??)

No i have the 450cc injektors on my Engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Muntermugge

Hallo Mr Wolfy.
Welcome here, i think you and me can help each other, because we are not so far from each other.
You live in Sweden, and i in Denmark.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Nice to meet someone from Europe..
But you will find very much help here on galantvr4.org.
There are all great guys, and are very very helpful here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
And if you can't get parts for your car, there are also very helpful..And maybe i also can help.
I can't get parts in Denmark, but Germany can order something home to me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have you pictures inside the car, and have it a number(limited edition)as the USA version..
I have a USA version, and are trying to make i back to life again, and only need to have it paint, and some new wheels.
When i'm finish, i will take some pictures, and put in on here..
But nice to here from you..
On Danish, very like Swedish
Og på dansk: velkommen.. håber vi kan hjælpe hinanden.. nemmere at skrive på Dansk eller Svensk fremfor engelsk.. Må jeg spørge: hvad måtte du så give for denne flotte VR4 i Sverige?
Hilsen
Mogens

Hi Muntermugge!!

Yes well Denmark is not so far from here he he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My VR-4 is not markt, the only VR-4 that was markt was the US versions and not the other ones as i remember...

I realy don't have pics inside the car right now but i will take some pics wery soon and put it in here!!

On Swedisch:

Hallo där!!
Jag köpte bilen för ca 65.000 SEK och köpte den av en kille nere i Skövde som jobbade på en Mitsubishi verkstad fast han har slutat nu där tyvärr.. den goda nyheten är det att min VR-4'a verkar bara ha varit ägd av Mitsubishi hela sitt liv och det är en god nyhet pga att alla har bytt olja varje 500'e mil i både motor, växel låda och bakaxel samt fördelnings lådan i just min VR-4'a!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Min VR-4'a blev aldrig märkt med den där plåtbrickan som sitter vid instrument panelen då min VR-4'a kommer från Saudi arabien.. den blev intagen som flyttgods så jag behöver ingen katalysator eller sidoblinkers eller liknande!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Notera att det bara finns 2 st VR-4'or här i Sverige också, den ena är ju den osm jag har och den andra VR-4'an finns just nu nere i Göteborg och jag har även kontakt med honom på MSN!! Vi tänkte sen att när vi har fått ordning på våra VR-4'or så ska vi ta en lite VR-4'a träff här i sverige då vi är dom enda som äger en original VR-4'a i hela sverige som får gå lagligt på svenska vägar!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jo helt klart att vi kan hjälpa varandra, om det nu är så att du behöver delar till din VR-4 så kan du gärna maila mig för jag har CAPS skivan som den Amerikanska VR-4'an och VR-4'an från Kalifornien finns med på och din är ju importerad från USA så det är ju bara helt toppen det!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Varför fungerar inte din VR-4'a för? Är det bara färgen och hjulen som fattas eller är motorn kanske trasig??

On english:

Yes there are wery great guys here on galantvr4.org!! I have learnd werry much here on this club!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you want to you can add me on MSN: [email protected]
That goes also for you other guys here on galantvr4.org /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm online almost every hour there so that we can chat together!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

// Wolfy from Sweden!!

Quote:
md165808?, check if the injectors are yellow topped too! I'm still working on tying down the gearbox internals..

Rich

Thanks, take your time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do you know if there are any differences between the RS box and the std gear box?? Like if the RS are stronger than the std...

Here are some pics of what i have bought for my car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As you can see i will add some new rust protection under my car, my car was rust protected in 1995 when it was imported from saudi, but now i have to ad some new protection in the wheel house!!

First i going to take off all the old rust protection in the wheel house and then i'm going to add some brand new rust protection in the wheel house!! I will use the Dinitrol ML as a "ground" protection and then i'm going to add the Dinitrol 479 rust protection on top of the ground protection!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is no rust what so ever on my VR-4 but i want to add some new protection anyway for safety reasons!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does some of you guys have some advises about rust protection under the car or something??

Last edited by a moderator:

rah1482

RS box has close gear ratio. I have the same. A lot has been written on the difference between the stock USDM box and the RS box. You might want to do a search on it. You will learn a lot from the previous discussions. I did.

Do you know if there are any differences between the RS box and the std gear box?? Like if the RS are stronger than the std...

I'm still learning about the differences!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On which CAPS disk is it that the VR-4 RS is on?? I really want to get that CAPS disk!! Does anyone know where to get that CAPS disk??

Can anyone give me the part number on the RS Gearbox and the RS rear Axel??

I don't know the real word on the rear Axel but it is the round heavy thing at the rear end, does anyone know what i mean??

No one that knows on with CAPS disk the RS version is on?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

I realy would like to have the part number on this tranny that i have and the big heavy thing at the back end of the driveline!!

Someone that can help me with this??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned