The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head gasket issue

1990ggsxnj

I would say re-torque the head to foot pounds with a known good TW. If you see movement, change the oil (since oil/coolant could have mixed) and try again. If that does not work, tear it down to inspect the head gasket and head&block surfaces. If the stuff is shooting out above the Head Gasket, I would think it is most likely the machining work on the head.

I've no experience with copper spray but with the above posts suggesting this was a nono, keep this in mind while inspecting.

971of1000

It is foot lbs. I have checked it with multiple tw. It is the permatorque MLS. I am going to pull it and go have a chat withe machinist and also measure my head studs to make sure they haven't stretched

Brianawd

Quote:
Fel Pro permatorque

that is there mls head gaskget

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I was not aware they use that same name for the MLS type too. I was under the impression that the "permatorque" line was composite gaskets. Learned something new today.

971of1000

Pulled the head today and took it to the machine shop. It is fine. I am going to be checking the block this weekend. Must be a small crack in a water jacket or something we missed.

971of1000

well got it together and it is ran for about 10 minutes idled perfectly then started leaking like crazy again. It is coming from the front of the motor but i cant see where it is coming from at this point. Where could oil be coming out of in the front?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned