The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Has anyone done 3KGT brakes on their Galant?

4orced4door

Eh I guess I'll stick with a good stock setup for now, the money could be better spent elsewhere at this point.

I didn't mean to shoot down your dreams Paul. It's not bad persay. It's just not going to stop you faster or shorter. They do look the part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4orced4door

Haha I know Chris, actually I'd rather have less work anyway because I'm lazy so I'm glad you said what you did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Chris,
I wouldn't totally agree here. I have the 3KGT (we call them GTOs over here) brakes on my VR4 and I found them substantially better than the stock brakes. I do admit that they aren't necessarily a viable option to a proper setup for a high powered car or one that will see a lot of track use (fade being the the most important issue as you pointed out) but for a lightly modded street car I found them very very good.

For those considering these on a less modded car, another thing about them I liked was that they did not upset the ABS system at all. And they run happily on the stock brake cylinder.

They were dirt cheap too.

Paul.

You have a brake system that is far better than OEM GTO front brakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheeky what did you like better about them? Easier to modulate? Feel?

You stopping distance is dictated by your tires assuming adaqute brakes to lock them up (fastest at the threshold though). There are reasons that are valid for a "better" braking system but it's not shortening stop times.

It may be more available parts (my reason on the colt), better pad selection, better feel, easier modulation. These things may allow a driver an easier time to hold the car at the threshold but do not actually stop the car faster "perfect driver to perfect driver"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned