The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hard to start

971of1000

I have just done a rebuild of my motor (rings, bearings, lifters etc.) and ever since it came together i have had a hard time getting it to start in the morning. Once it starts and warms up it has no problem restarting but once it cools down it cranks without starting. any help would be appreciated.

dsmtalontsi95

Did dsm link reset due to the power being off? What I mean is all the adjustments that you did could have been lost, Bring up your previous tune and compare it to what is going on.

could be the E85? (i'm assuming you're running E85, i see Corn Fed in your sig). my buddy hunter out here has an evo X with E85 and it takes him a little longer to start when it's cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

971of1000

The galant is on 93 octane with meth injection. I dont have link on the galant either. I need to update my sig.

are you using a MAFT or the original air meter? if you are running the old MAS and have the ability to change it out with another, I'd try that. I had a similar problem in the past. this was my fix

971of1000

I am running a 3 in gm. I may try and see if switching gm mafs may fix the problem

there might be something in the TB thats giving an issue too, you're basically looking for something that has a change in characteristics after either the engine bay gets heated up or after the coolant running through the motor is up to temp

I know the TPS reading and the ISC on my friends GSX changed after the TB heated up. we replaced both and car started up much-much easier when it was really cold.

just some added info: you have to watch out for extreme cold/moist temps outside, when electronics cool back down from being warm or heated, they have a tendency to condensate, causing issues.

971of1000

Would blocking off the faiv help my situation?

if have your coolant lines removed from your TB and you have the idle surging issue after the car heats up then you might want to consider blocking off the FIAV passages. I did in my car.
dont ask me which ones they were though, I honestly cant remember, but I used some JB Weld to do it. I don't think this is your issue though with hard starting when cold. hopefully one of the gurus will chime in with some other ideas.

i've heard of someone using a hairdryer to SLOWLY heat up the TB to verify whether or not it was in fact the TB giving them issues..basically if the whole car was cold, engine and all, then the TB was warm and car started w/o problem then you know that the TB being cold is an issue. you just have to troubleshoot it some other ways.

my buddy standing behind me said this: maybe the cold setting in the GM translator might be incorrectly setup

971of1000

What is the cold setting on the translator?

you'll have to refer to the translator operators manual...I honestly don't know. sry

971of1000

would a temp sensor that the ecu reads possibly cause a problem?

Barnes

A bad engine temp sensor can cause that problem. I had a bad one on my car and it would take a LONNNG time to start. After it started it seemed to run okay.

solidviper89

I agree with Barnes. My temp sensor (the one ECU sees) worked fine, but it had crap on connector and there was no signal getting through, I cleaned both sides and car runs way smoother when cold.

971of1000

I will definitely try this tonight then. Any other ideas?

MellowVR4

yea had that problem before, not saying that everytime this happens its necessary the temp sensor, but thats what my problem was. I changed it and it ran beautiful

971of1000

I checked things out tonight and the wires were broken. I fixed the wires and am waiting for the car to cool down and make sure it works. Thanks for the help guys.

971of1000

problem is fixed. she runs like a champ. thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned