The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 bogs,dies etc. Need some help.

I will have to check out the turbo. And no backfire and the plugs were slightly white.

mitsuturbo

Quoting pitbull:
The only mods this car has is a 16g turbo and an unknown aftermarket o2 housing. When driving below 3krpm car drives fine once I get to 3500-4k rpm and 0-3psi the car chugs and feels like it hits a rev limiter. It will not boost past 3-5psi and it was getting 10mpg the other day. I boost leak tested the charge piping only. I have very few tools so I am limited on what I can do here. I have tried using the 3"fm maf and maft with no change. I put in an injector o-ring set because they did leak no change. I fixed the boost leak and no change.

I've had MULTIPLE cars behave exactly this way when the caps start leaking really bad in the ECU. Any time i get into an old car with unknown history and it starts bogging out right when boost should be coming on, i toss a spare ECU in there and see if the problem remains. So far, it's been the ECU on at least 5 different occasions. See if a buddy will let you borrow an ECU or something.

Ahh great idea! it has a non eprom 1g turbo ecu should I just get a eprom? Local tuning shop burns there own tunes. I will say now that boost leak is fixed gas mileage is up! And car runs better at low rpms.

yeti

Quoting pitbull:
Well it may have not been "proper" I did the boost leak test from the throttle body charge pipe to the end on the j-pipe so it just tested the actual charge pipes and bov. How do you test all of it? From the j-pipe and leave the TB connected? Thanks

Put the tester on the turbo inlet, my tester is small enough but IT IS A PITA squeezing it in and on there.

And to test for shaft play stick your finger on wheel wiggle it see if the shaft will wiggle ata all. Also make sure the blades spin freely..

And is your 16g an ebay? If so the adjustable waste gate could be mis adjusted.

If you don't know if it is ebay google ebay 16g and evo3 16g.

Last might as well pop your ecu out and open check the caps your self. If looks good put it back in until you get eprom

Last edited:

Its a ebay 16g ill have to go to my friends to test the wastegate and do the boost leak test. Has no shaft play. And ecu look like it has dried up brown goo on it???

mitsuturbo

Brown goo on the ecu, or IN the ecu? There are capacitors standing up in the center of the board. If anything is "off color" around there, then you likely have an ECU problem.

Here is my ecu with thr bown goo.
IMG_20120524_113031.jpg

mitsuturbo

WTF? Was your car a flood victim?

Looks like the capacitors have been replaced, but it also looks like your ECU is fucked up. I'd try a spare if you can get your hands on one. You're going to need an eprom ecu anyhow.

Haha no it was not.

And I will have try and locate one. But before I spend more $$$ on it do you think the foam in the radiator is air,turbo or?? I drove it for a few minutes and stopped and looked to see if it needed more water( I just removed ac condenser and had to remove rad previous to this) and there was white foam. The temp gauge does not get hot and no smo.ke or water in oil

mitsuturbo

It's not completely unusual to see some foam in the cooling system, especially if it hasn't been flushed in a while. I'd flush it all out and see how it looks after running it after that.

Still having same problems..going to try another boost leak test tomorrow. Any other advice when I'm messing with it?

Well found the Bov leaks at 6psi and the car wont rev past 4k rpm in neutral.

mitsuturbo

You're probably going to have to throw some parts at it in order to diagnose. You need to find someone with a DSM who'll let you borrow some things. One may be a known good MAF. Another may be a known good ECU.

If you've found leaks and fixed them, and everything else looks right, it may be time to start suspecting part failures.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned