The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gutted Hood Done Before?

prove_it

Like I said, I didn't realize he was building an actual car for racing events. Seriously. I know weight is a killer. Why do you think I built a civic hatch? I thought it was a ricer thread about a guy thinking taking the hood supports out will make the car faster. MY BAD! I'm still new to this forum and am not familiar with everyone. Dont attack me. I'm a simple man ok.

prove_it

You can always switch to a fuel cell. That can save another 10-20 lbs.

CarRacer

Quoting 2of9:
hey CarRacer, theres like 2 junk galants at the U-Pull R Parts in Rosemount right now. I'm getting a hood over there right now and I'm going to be playing around with it. This hood is going to be strictly be used for AutoX and Drag only. I will post up pics of my ideas later.

Actually there are 3, and none of the ones with charcoal interior have A-pillars left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

curtis

Since this has turned to a Jenny Craig thread I'll jump in.

On average 100 pounds of dead weight is a tenth in the quarter
On average 10 pounds of reciprocating weight is a tenth in the quarter.

If all the weight is low is handles better and if all the corners weights are addressed it handles better. Now does no one read the how to any more or do a search for weight, Jenny Craig, diet.

Every little bit helps, manual mirrors are like 7 pounds lighter, non cruise, non abs, manual belts, non power antennas are all little things to lose 50 or so pounds then this is good for 50 lbs

MY REAR BUMPER HOW TO

If a person took a weekend they could drop 300 to 400 lbs from the car without noticing any ill effects, Little things like remove the horn from the bracket and replace on a hole thats already under there, yea maybe 2 ounces but 16 make a pound. I saw somewhere on here years ago someone pulled the abs harness from the rear as well as the wheel sensors wires under the car, tape and wire loom from the harnesses under the carpet and had 100 lbs of useless crap in the floor. Lets say you did all these things and then got nuts and drilled out holes in stupid little brackets and clips, sound padding and everything else they could think of. The car could be in the 400 to 500lbs lighter. That equals speed and economy, costs less to move the mass to a given speed.

I just went out in the shop and weighted a set of abs rings I had 8.7 oz for two of them. So thats a pound of reciprocating weight. add that to a balance shaft spacer ring from the 1.6 or 1.8L which ever it is that doesn't have the balance shaft and thats now 5 lbs, then cross drilled rotors just the holes dropped about 5 so thats your free tenth of a second.
So all the little things do matter.

Now I pose a question how much money does it take to make a car go from 12.00's to 11.50's when you already have a larger turbo etc. Now much does this cost.

That could mean being 4 cars in front of the competition street or track....

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned