The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

EHmotorsports

The same laws would apply if you had a vac source to the intake manifold or turbo inlet and using a filtered can.

turbowop

Yes, but when talking about venting a catchcan to atmosphere, we're usually talking about the two vents on the valve cover being routed to a vented can and blocking off where they used to go. In which case it doesn't matter whether you run SD or a MAF based metering setup.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

Intake manifold on the menu? Stock manifold, huge cams, big turbo... Something something one of these doesn't make sense for the rev range on this setup.

GSX_TC

Yes a bigger intake manifold is on the wish list. I would like to get a JMFab drag with a larger throttlebody.

slugsgomoo

I'd suggest skipping it for the magnus cast, run an S90 or Q45tb and call it a day. If I had the choice between SMIM & cast right now and I was doing it for the first time, I'd definitely go to the cast model, especially when you consider the proven gains versus stock or other smim's.

GSX_TC

Yeah but nobody ever has problems with the drag one, and yeah the S90 is the throttle body I was lookin at for that manifold, they make a good match.

slugsgomoo

I'm not talking about reliability issues i.e. welds since JMF has typically not had problems with those. I'm talking about the testing and development done that's resulted in the V3 cast making more power than any of the alternative SMIMs out there. If you gave me the option to buy now, or save a bit more and buy in february, I'd hold off until I could buy the better manifold. And it's not that I don't think JMF makes great products (I have some on my car), I would just say that in this case, it's proven that the v3 is superior, especially when you're looking at the kind of airflow a 35r or bigger can deliver.

4thStroke

The Magnus manifold is THE manifold to have, there is no questioning that. You cannot accomplish with a SMIM that you can with a cast unit.

Back to the catch can... I think people often times overlook crank case ventilation, not realizing how much you can benefit from a properly designed setup, tight motor or not.

ApexHunter

Indeed. And the benefits of pulling vacuum are no secret - better ring seal, reduction of pumping losses/windage, less oil cavitation, less oil contamination, less mixture contamination etc. Hence why external vacuum pumps and/or dry sump systems increase power in and of themselves.

Incorporating the above can be costly and/or complicated with not enough return on investment for a lot of people. What does make a lot of sense is to use what suction is already on the table (at the compressor inlet). Depending on how well this is executed, it can be fairly effective, and at a much lower cost.

blacksheep

Sheesh - See post has 27 updates. Come in hoping to see a million pics from slightly different angles. Find a bunch of people talking about catch cans and sh*t. WTF.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

Quoting blacksheep:
Sheesh - See post has 27 updates. Come in hoping to see a million pics from slightly different angles. Find a bunch of people talking about catch cans and sh*t. WTF.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GSX_TC

Speaking of 27 different pics of different angles lol

Got my Frontline Fabrication Billet aluminum Transfer case brace just now! This is a late Christmas present from the Girlfriend =) BIG thanks to Willie Gilchrest for selling it.

fuel

I actually really like that.

GSX_TC

Phillip approved!

Yeah hopefully it should help the transfer case from not exploding.

Jesus_Negros

I must be behind in the realm of 4g63. What does it do and why is it so shiny?

ApexHunter

I imagine the main purpose is to mitigate deflection due to high strain/shock loads?

prove_it

In theory, it braces the crap out of the rear plate on the transfer case. Also prevents the case from cracking open. Really isn't needed until the 500whp mark I believe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned