The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

1050 cc injectors, what kind of fuel are you planning to run? Sticking with pump gas or going e85?

What kind of engine management? I may have missed it.

ade

he is running link on sd, im unsure on gas or e85.

GSX_TC

Yep that's right, as ade said. DSMlink ver 3 full on speed density and for the trip I'll be on pump gas, then will be on E85 when I get back home.

LIV4PSI

I noticed you only had to large ARP crank bolt. Someone suggested in my thread that the small ones were more imporant, because the pulley is thicker. I didn't know if you had came across that info yet.

JNZ has them for cheap

GSX_TC

Ah sh*t I forgot about those! Thanks for pointing that out man, I doubt I'll be able to get those in time so I maybe have to use my stock ones till I get back.

LIV4PSI

I wouldn't be too worried about them immediately. Your engine will still be just getting broke in anyways, so it won't be getting beat on or revved to the moon.

GSX_TC

Yeah your right, I still can't believe I missed that though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

GSX_TC

Ok the new Motor is finally in =)

DSCN1407.jpg

DSCN1412.jpg

DSCN1414.jpg

So clean and fresh

DSCN1417.jpg

DSCN1418.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1452.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

New OEM Mitsu Slave going on

DSCN1456.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

stainless bolts for the oil pan

DSCN1459.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

New OEM Mitsu Starter going on

DSCN1467.jpg

DSCN1469.jpg

the old motor lurking in the distance

DSCN1472.jpg

New OEM Mitsu Clutch master going on next

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1485.jpg

New Fittings for the STM external oil cooler kit

DSCN1497.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

New OEM Mitsu Alternator going on now

DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg

A bottom view of the new setup

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

and the Spearco 2-216 getting mounted

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

More progress coming very soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

FCR

Keep up the good work looks great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LIV4PSI

Looks like someone scored a 35R after all. Hurry up, you have less than a week to finish!!!

GSX_TC

Quoting FCR:
Keep up the good work looks great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks, yeah she's coming along slowly but surely just in time for the big drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Looks like someone scored a 35R after all. Hurry up, you have less than a week to finish!!!

Yep, im so stoked!! i cant wait to feel and hear it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I leave this wednesday so i need to hurry up but at the same time not rush things haha

Last edited:

turbowop

Pics of an axle oil seal before and after install... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Really? I can understand pics of sweet turbos and such, but you really take pics of EVERYTHING. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

So what is the reason for the stainless allen-head bolts all over? The ones behind the timing cover won't be seen, so I can't imagine it's for aesthetics. That would annoy the sh*t out of me everytime I had to grab something other than the normal sockets I'm used to for working on the car. I've never understood why people change out factory bolts for those. I guess I just don't think they look any better.

BTW, which slave did you put on your car? Red piston or green piston? I just went through this and while my original OE slave had the larger green one, it was creating disengagement issues. The red piston will allow for more rod travel, which is what heavier clutches need. Something you may wanna check before you get too far...

GSX_TC

Yeah I love pics, plus this is the cars first build so I wanna have lots of pics to show for this.

As for the stainless bolts, I didn't get them for visual appeal, I got them because I originally didn't have all the correct bolts for that old pan, and JNZ tuning said they offer those type for the oil Pan so I was like ok let's add those to the list, I also got some similar ones with neoprene for the valve cover.

As for the rod in the slave, I noticed that the new one was a bit shorter, so to save myself the hassle I swapped the old one in the new slave which is longer.

turbowop

I guess that makes sense for the bolts since you didn't have the stockers.

I wasn't talking about the slave rod. I'm talking about the piston inside the slave itself.

GSX_TC

Oh ok well whichever color comes with the OEM slave for a 91 GVR4 is the one i bought. I didn't get a chance to see what color the piston was.

turbowop

It's probably the green piston then. You can pull the boot back a tad to see. If it works, great. If you have disengagement issues, I'd start there.

GSX_TC

Ok thanks for the heads up mark, next time I'm near car I'll take a look at both the old and new.

Quoting GSX_TC:
Ah sh*t I forgot about those! Thanks for pointing that out man, I doubt I'll be able to get those in time so I maybe have to use my stock ones till I get back.

Don't chance it. I actually learned of those longer arp bolts on tooners cause some guy had his stock bolts shear off or back out because they are too short with the fluidampr. Don't forget to use blue loctite on them.

Either next day air them or go to the hardware store and get some longer ones. Or raid your nut/bolt bin and find some oem ones that are longer.

And 1050cc injectors are a waste for e85 for medium to bigger size turbos as you will be at max IDC in the low twenty psi range. You will be looking at trading those for 1650 or bigger in no time.

GSX_TC

Quoting Romanova:
You doing all this at Mike's new shop? Looks great BTW...

No it's at my friend Evol's shop. =)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned