The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Grinding noise causing engine to stall !!

throughfaith323

Hey guys. Please help as my VR4 is my daily driver right now!!

-When I push in the clutch pedal i start to hear a grinding noise (coming from the bell housing it sounds like) and it gets louder the more i push the pedal in and the engine bogs until it stalls.

-I'm thinking my throwout bearing is seized however its an OEM throwout bearing with only 1k miles on it and its about a year old. I'm running an ACT 2600 clutch and i know the bearings are not made for heavy clutches, but it should last a lot longer than 1k miles.

-today i checked it again and i was able to fully disengage the clutch without the engine stalling but it was still making a grinding noise. after a couple more tries it went back to bad grinding and car stalling.

can anybody think of another option to my problem besides a seized throwout bearing or has anybody had this problem?

Muskrat

Broken spring 'finger' in the pressure plate?

Clutch threw a spring?

Did you grease the throwout bearing when you installed it?

Sounds like you need to drop the trans and see what's going on. Sucks, I know.

Last edited:

throughfaith323

Yea i'm about to go pull it now or start early tomorrow. I have some experience so it shouldn't be too bad but i'm definitely no expert.

I didnt think of the pressure plate "finger" idea but its more of a consistent grinding that gets worse the more i try to disengage the clutch so i would think a broken tooth would not have a consistent noise.....or are you saying that it would not evenly pull pressure off the clutch disk inturn causing grinding of the disk on the pressure plate and causing stall?

i'll definitely let everyone know what the problem is whenever i pull the trans out and if its bad enough i'll post some pictures!!

thank your for your input!

1qkfwd

Pull the rubber vent plugs of the top of the trans, there should be three. You can shine a flashlight down one and be able to see most the front of the clutch assembly and tob. Much easier than pullin it first.

throughfaith323

i tried that on a spare trans a had laying around and couldn't see that good since the holes are so small.

i will definitely give it a shot tho before pulling it.

thank you

Muskrat

I'm just throwing idea's out there. Without actually hearing the noise, and the conditions it's made under, it's hard to make a diagnosis.

throughfaith323

I gotcha.

I forgot to say before that i don't remember if we greased the bearing before hand :/.

i took an hour earlier and removed all the easy stuff. Tomorrow i'm jacking it up to rip apart the PS assembly and removing the transfer case so i can take the trans out.

I will update tomorrow some time.

throughfaith323

figure it out!!

i'm missing the lower left bolt that bolts in from the motor side to the trans. somehow it recently vibrated loose...i noticed a jingle noise recently but did not know what is was so i think it was the bolt that fell out and was rattling around down there.

the top two bolts were also slightly loose..they don't have any lock washers on them.. are those ones supposed to?

so the only really tight bolt was the lower right by the slave cylinder.

so when i pushed in the the clutch pedal the throwout bearing pushed against the clutch and the trans would push away from it pulling the transfer case into the flywheel!!!!!!!!!! causing a grinding noise and making the car stall since the flywheel slowed the whole system down enough to stall.

i'm putting it back together tomorrow so i will let yous know if its fixed for sure.

1qkfwd

That sounds like it could make that noise. The factory bolt to hold the trans to the engine have a lock washer and then a regular washer.

throughfaith323

yea i didn't have bolts with lock washers in but i put ones with lock washers in so they could not rattle loose this anymore.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts