The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting the itch again for another VR4

turbowop

The thing I love the most, is that the longest stint for it on jackstands was only about four months during winter '02-'03 for a head rebuild, FPgreen turbo setup, 4bolt rear, and a LOT of cleanup. Maybe I'm just loyal, but I still love the thing.

JNR

I can't believe I've had #20 for almost 8 1/2 years now and other than my chevelle (going on 22 years), this is the longest I've owned a vehicle. Granted, it's been sitting (not on jackstands though) for the past few years, but that has more to do with other priorities...when I did DD it, I was confident to drive it anywhere and I did take it on a few road trips, the mountains, etc. w/o hesitation or problems and everything works well (incl. the A/C) and even got 28 mpg on the highway. IMO these are reliable cars if you don't hack them up/abuse them and you keep up on maintenance, just like any other machine...and this one is (tastefully) modified pretty good, too, so imagine a stocker would be even more so.

Really the only reason I parked it was I bought a wrong-wired MAF 3G wire harness (lesson: ALWAYS check things for yourself before installing) and it messed it up...Decided to do a few other things and other things in life came up, so it's been there. Still in excellent condition and on my way to buttoning it up finally, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel about the car at that point...

I go thru cars every couple years (so many choices and I get bored), so we'll see how long I keep it; problem is, this particular car is worth far more than people are willing to spend, and I'm not going to give it away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

BpuVR4

JNR i know what you mean, ive only had one vehicle for 3 years. I never intend to do it that way, but it happens. There's always another car on the list that becomes available at the right time.

JNR

True...the problem that I've had in the past few years (becoming more 'content' with owning stuff longer, like my GTO had for 4 1/2 years) is I end up *needing* something entirely different, whether it be go from car to 4x4 or truck or my job changes and need something for a longer commute, etc. I'm pretty much stuck with my truck I have now for quite a while, as far as new cars and partly why I'm getting so gung ho on the galant (love the truck, but day to day miss a car and esp a manual)...If I don't enjoy it as much, it will go for sale and I'll buy something else older to replace it; we'll see how it goes. Whatever I do I want to get down to 2 vehicles for myself (have 3 now), so either the galant or the chevelle goes. If I played my cars right, both would go and I'd have something awesome and insane (like 800 hp) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Keep the galant and sell the chevelle or keep both like I would do.

JNR

Well, given the choice, I'd keep the Chevelle over the VR-4 in a heartbeat ('velle is far from stock, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but neither is the galant, I guess ) and it's worth far more $$, -but- the galant is more practical to drive more often (like to work) and especially park most areas (have to plan when I drive the 'velle in that way), plus doesn't get the attention the 'velle did/does [both a good and bad thing to have that]...they are both nice cars though and both are pretty fast and all.

If I were smart, I'd sell the VR-$ and finish the 'velle and put a nice BBC in there and sell the 383.

BpuVR4

Quoting JNR:
True...the problem that I've had in the past few years (becoming more 'content' with owning stuff longer, like my GTO had for 4 1/2 years) is I end up *needing* something entirely different, whether it be go from car to 4x4 or truck or my job changes and need something for a longer commute, etc. I'm pretty much stuck with my truck I have now for quite a while, as far as new cars and partly why I'm getting so gung ho on the galant (love the truck, but day to day miss a car and esp a manual)...If I don't enjoy it as much, it will go for sale and I'll buy something else older to replace it; we'll see how it goes. Whatever I do I want to get down to 2 vehicles for myself (have 3 now), so either the galant or the chevelle goes. If I played my cars right, both would go and I'd have something awesome and insane (like 800 hp) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tough choices...if i get another musclecar I'd absolutely go for a 67 Fairlane and hope it ends up a 427 r code haha, and daily drive the VR4 (hoping it's dependable enough)

MellowVR4

i love my vr4, 372-2k by the way lol. still needs alot of work to get it to pristine shape, but it will get done. DSM's and VR4 are not for everyone, but you could make it that way if you really wanted to.

Olson

My car has been in storage for 2 years now.
I have thrown the idea of selling it back and forth for about a year, finaly after 2 years I was going to sell it back to my buddy that sold it to me, I dug the car out of storage, drove it, and regretted agreeing with the deal I made with him. Thankfully he fell into a good life deal and told me he wont be buying it. The wife said it was destiny. Back to storage she goes for 2 + more years. I dumped some 110 my dad had for his airplane in her. pulled the plugs cranked the car over a few times threw them back in and cranked it about 10 times. Car ran like a champ, stretched her legs a bit and threw it back in the dungen.
Man i miss her and it was only a week ago.
IMG_2924.JPG

BpuVR4

Quoting MellowVR4:
i love my vr4, 372-2k by the way lol. still needs alot of work to get it to pristine shape, but it will get done. DSM's and VR4 are not for everyone, but you could make it that way if you really wanted to.

i think we pm'd before, but i'm a previous owner of #372. I think it's white now, right....it was originally black.

I picked up 957/1000 tonight...traded my 5.0 for it up in Milwaukee, and am pretty happy. Back in the game folks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned