The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gas tank repair

alik

It's leaking at the seam. Once the tank is more than half full, it stinks of gas.
Problem is that our gas tanks are rarer than blue moon (at least that's what brief search led me to believe)

Question is, is it possible to weld/repair the gas tank?
Thanks!

alik

Definitely interested. Please, keep me updated.

CutlassJim

If you end up getting a new one I might be interested in the old tank depending on the damage.

alik

Jim, I'll definitely keep you in mind.

prove_it

Just weld it up. What's the worst that will happen?

Kibby

jepherz

Staff member
You have a few options. You could seal it with something like the POR15 tank sealer, or bring it to someone who can do something similar. Or, you could weld it if you know where it's leaking. I've never done it myself but I'd think you just need to fill it with water first.

CBBOOST

I did my tank with a combination of welding and POR15 tank sealer. I cleaned it in and out with POR Marine clean, welded what I wanted to, cleaned it again, used POR metal ready and then the tank sealer on the outside and on a few spots inside. They say to pour it in the tank and roll it around but I didn't want to clog the vent, return line, etc. so I just reached in with a brush and did the seam and a few spots where I had welded.

manikbastrd

Paul (thedsmguy) might be able to get you one. Shipping would suck. Also, welding them is pretty easy. Anyone who is a good welder can help you out...Obviously clean it really well first, maybe fill it with water since it's kinda thin.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts