The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gas pedal stuck!!

GIjoe

Just like the 'yotas, my gas pedal got stuck. As you can see, Im still here, I didnt try calling 911 or anything like that. Ive put the car in neutral and turned the engine off.
So far so good, but how can I fix this? Its not the mat, Ive checked the cable, it seems to be fine when I pull it with my hand but once I push the pedal down, it just stays down.
Does cruise control have anything to do with this? (I wasnt using it btw)
thanks for the input guys.

Muskrat

If the cable isn't binding it's probably in the pedal assembly. I'd pull it out, take it apart, clean it, grease it, and put it back together and see if that helps.

boostx

You may have a broken spring on the tb. If you don't use the cruise control is very easy to remove it.

GIjoe

^^man, I have no idea what you're talkin bout, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but you got me real curious, care to explain? thanks! (uicp is the upper ic pipe, right?)

GIjoe

Quoting Muskrat:
If the cable isn't binding it's probably in the pedal assembly. I'd pull it out, take it apart, clean it, grease it, and put it back together and see if that helps.

You may be right. I know that the cable is binding a little though. My mechanic told me last time he worked on the car.
I pushed the pedal down with my hand, and it doesn't feel right. It moves side to side...

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting GIjoe:
^^man, I have no idea what you're talkin bout, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but you got me real curious, care to explain? thanks! (uicp is the upper ic pipe, right?)

He was just joking.

GIjoe

^^ lol, ok. I feel so embarassed now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Don't be.

That was a one in a million deal where the tech lost the stick and it was later found wedging the throttle open...

"sh*t happens".

As far as your particular situation, you can pull the cable off the throttle body, and swing the throttle plate with you hand to see if it's sticking there.

If you have cruise, you can pull the cover on the cable box and look to see if something has gotten wonky in there. Sometimes the cables will come off the pulleys in there and jam up.

My galant had a kink in the cable tube where it comes out of the firewall and turns. Probably got smashed during a motor swap by a previous owner. One day, enough cable strands had broken to foul the cable in the bend.

Hung the throttle open going downhill, and caused me to return to the house for fresh underoos, if you know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Just start breaking the system down into shorter runs, and you'll find the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you suspect the pedal, you can remove it quite easily for some bench testing.

Last edited:

jared50438

unhook the cable like they said. see if the throttle body is binding and pull on the cable and see if that is going back and forth okay your cable might be frayed out some place? unhook it from your pedal and push on that and see if its in the pedal assembly.

jared50438

and if you have cruise still on it isnt there a cover and you can check the cables in that and see it might be binding in there.

Quoting cheekychimp:
Do you have a missing dipstick stuck in your UICP?

ROFL nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I once had some throttle binding and found the spring on the throttle body was contacting one of the vacuum pipes behind it which had gotten bent.

evo8ya

check the TB butterfly aswell, make sure it's not loose or broken off. Glad to hear you were quick thinking and didn't hurt yourself or your car

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Hope like hell that you did not lose a throttlebody plate screw down your intake.

If you have, the plate can wedge in the bore causing intermittent issues. (please don't ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif)

The really bad part is that screw is now screwed up valves, pistons, and turbo as it passed threw.

I hope that is not your problem.

Quoting iceman69510:
I once had some throttle binding and found the spring on the throttle body was contacting one of the vacuum pipes behind it which had gotten bent.

i had this same problem on my 3000gt.

GIjoe

Quoting Terry Posten:
Hope like hell that you did not lose a throttlebody plate screw down your intake.

If you have, the plate can wedge in the bore causing intermittent issues. (please don't ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif)

The really bad part is that screw is now screwed up valves, pistons, and turbo as it passed threw.

I hope that is not your problem.

sh*t, that doesn't sound too good. Wouldn't that make somekind of noise though?

GIjoe

Quoting jared50438:
unhook the cable like they said. see if the throttle body is binding and pull on the cable and see if that is going back and forth okay your cable might be frayed out some place? unhook it from your pedal and push on that and see if its in the pedal assembly.

Looks like the section that goes from the pedal to the cruise control is frayed somewhere. Or the spring is broken or weak.

So Im guessin I need a new cable. Fanfuckintastic. I know its not a big deal, but I really needed the car this weekend. Mitsubishis hate me for real. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Since I need a new cable, might as well remove the stupid cruise control too, right?
Is that easy to do? I kinda took it apart now, it doesnt look too complicated.
If I take the cable out of a ggsx, without cruise control, that would work, right?

Thanks a lot for all the help guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Terry Posten

Installing a new non-cruise cable and removing the old crusie takes about 30 minutes.

www.JNZtuning.net sells new cables for under $50 shipped if I remember correctly

**EDIT** - By using the PN listed in the post I put up below, your price from JNZ is $39.22 and shipping should be less than $10.00.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned