The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant AWD swap questions.

Perkul8r

Ok, so i previously had a galant VR4 that had its life cut short by a stupid tree that fell on it. Now i have recently acquired a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI and am gonna use some parts to get my Laser RS going. Now i really really want another AWD Turbo galant. So can i swap the TSI's harness into the galant? I was trying to look it up and i swear i seen somewhere that there are a couple ends that are diff. As for the mechanical side, i read that on 1st Gen talon/eclipse/laser's that the body pans are completely different. Is this the same with the galant? Or are they all the same that way i just need to find specific parts like driveline and rear subframe? I appreciate any help in this. Thanks

The 90 model year dsm's do have some major differences in the wiring. The coil is a 4 wire plug instead of 3. The CAS has a 2 foot long extension that isn't removable so you either have to run the 90 CAS with the 90 harness, or cut the end off of the 90 CAS and cut the CAS plug out of a 91-94 harness and mate the two to make an extension so the 90 harness will connect to the 91-94 CAS. The ignition control module is specific to the 90 harness/ecu. If you run a 90 harness you'll have to run the 90 ecu, unless some wires are switched. The ecu location inside the car is different between the dsm and galant, although you should be able to tuck the extra wiring away/extend the wiring as needed. I don't know about the floorpans, but I'd imagine that they're different enough that it'd be much easier to start with a galant gsx

Perkul8r

Thats what i was afraid of, I have found a Galant GSR but i cant bring myself to pay what they guy wants for it. It is wrecked in the rear, and a little in the front, and the motor is shot interior sucks, and he wants $1200. But it is awd and has the 4G63 na motor in it. I would love to find a galant GSX. Thanks.

maroonmetallic

A Galant GSR is NOT AWD.

There is a completely different unibody for the AWD Galants as compared to the FWD Galant.

-Shawn

raptorWagon

Only the galant GSX and VR4s came AWD. All the others are FWD as maroon already stated. Same ordeal with 1G AWD and FWD dsms, they don't share the same chassis.

Perkul8r

I swear the one I looked at was awd but I have been wrong before. I will have to look again when I'm back home. I would still really like to find at least a gsx but just finding a galant around here is dam near impossible

AWDnoobie

Another car you could look for is Eagle 2000gtx, basically the same thing except most of then come with a auto tranny.

Chief_Mak

Save yourself the headache, just buy a GVR4. The swap you want to do might cost near to or more than the GVR4's in the for sale section.

Perkul8r

I would love to buy another VR4 and probably will. BUt i gotta find one thats close to ND. Which i have seen some in MN but they are all spendy, but well worth it

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned