The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Furbasher's 91' GVR4

Furbasher

I've owned this Galant for about a year now. The car has come a long way since purchase, I'll try and keep this thread updated as much as possible.

Unfortunately the badges were all ripped from this car. Has been rattle canned chalk board black, And overall looks like its been used and abused. Picked this thing up with 253,xxx
047.jpg

Drove to Tennessee from Missouri to pick it up...
016_zps0ad273cc.jpg

Started tearing it apart to assess the damage and get an idea of what I was in for... First thing I found was an FP3052, vband housing with tial waste gate. Car was also equpped with GM MAF and Turbo back exhaust. Unfortunately the FP turbo had seen better days. I quickly found the reason this car wasn't building boost. Upon further tear down I found a mesh screen (probably used as a filter) was sucked through the turbo, I found bits of it on my MAF screen as well...
021-1_zps97bc32ba.jpg

0062-2.jpg

0072-2.jpg

I began pulling the interior apart to clean and try and freshen it up a bit. Pulled the ecu to look for any signs of damage and found a rebuilt sticker on the ECU from 2011. Sweet. When I pulled the cover boom, ECMLink V3 full. Super awesome find! The previous owner was not aware the car was equipped with link. (at least he didn't talk about it)

025-2_zpsbe1a49bb.jpg

026-2_zpsf8132ce2.jpg

It looks as if this car has been in a slight fender bender in the front. The bumper is pretty mangled and the intercooler was dented pretty good. Nothing up top seems out of align, I'm convinced all damage was purely cosmetic, No further damage was found. I wasn't ready to spend money on a FMIC yet however I found a cheap ebay cooler for super cheap on craigslist. I could use it to get an idea of piping routes and it would work for the maintenance/break in period. I also ordered an ETS GVR4 J Pipe.

023-1.jpg

052-3.jpg

038-2.jpg

003-6.jpg

First things first. I wanted to get up to date on all the maintenance items this thing needed.

Front Lower ball joints, Inner & Outer tie rod ends, Both front and rear wheel bearings, Timing belt/ Water pump, BSE kit, Thermostat, Coolant Hoses and an entire front engine gasket set. This engine was puking oil when I first got it. I have no bigger pet peeve than leaking engines, drives me absolutely insane! Unfortunately I don't have too many pictures of the maintenance stuff.

1185847_2186392501483_323795088_n1.jpg

I've been stock piling parts on the side while the maintenance stuff has been happening. The FP turbo will need rebuilding so for the time being I put a baby 14b on. While I had it apart I ported the stock Manifold and o2 housing. I installed the FMIC with 2.5" hard pipes. Got some FIC 1050cc Injectors, Fuel Lab FPR, LC-1 WB, AEM BoostGauge, AerpCatch Latches,

1510491_2329107229262_134517785_n.jpg

007-6.jpg

062.jpg

025-2.jpg

I've put 500 miles on the car since everything has been done. I still have a lot ahead of me but I feel confident the car isn't going to break down or leave me stranded which is always my number one goal. Now that most all of the maintenance has been done I'll be focusing more on making a bit of power, as well as a bit of body work in the future.

St. Louis just got record snow storms and the galant has been a champ in this weather, pulling me anywhere I need to go...

052-4.jpg

051-3.jpg

EHmotorsports

Welcome!! We look forward to further updates:)

G

Staff member
Looks awesome, nice save.

Fiascoxl

I get that warm fuzzy feeling when someone saves a GVR4 from impending doom and a blatantly bad owner... Almost like a rescue. keep up the good work!

GSX_TC

Thank you for saving this car, love the snow pics btw.

snailspool

Looks great, and those snow pics look fantastic! As everyone else said, great save!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned