The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fun with factory switches

icurunnin

Quote:
Quote:
Anyhow, that's next weekend's project. I'll post up the pinouts then. Looks like there's an LED in the switches.

They do have a green light that looks like a diode. Both of mine are out. If you want a nice one way switch look for the steering switch on the GS. It just has a basic on and off while the a/t switch can be between two different sources that need power. I need new lights in both switches but scared to see what the dealer would ask for them.

WOW! So simple but very cool. It's amazing how after all these years you guys can still come up with fresh ideas that still retain factory finish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I was supposed to update this with a diagram for the switch, but...

Anyhow, I went to buy a dual stage boost controller, then get to wiring that and the w/a injection up.

Anyhow, I was disgusted with the prices. $180-$200 for either a TurboXS or Turbosmart boost controller. That's just nuts.

So, I'm now pausing to build my own hi-low boost controller. Searched around for some ideas, and ordered the following:

Boost solenoid from a Cyclone/Typhoon: $22 shipped
Cheapie "voodoo" MBC from ebay : $17 shipped
Bud Aluminum Project Box 2"x2"x5" : $ 9 shipped
===================================================
$48

Add in stuff I already have, like some vacuum hose, the switch this thread is about, my existing MBC, wire, vaccuum tees, and I should be ready to go.

I went with the Cyclone solenoid because it's a 3-port device that switches between A-B and A-C, but doesn't allow flow between B-C.
Also, it defaults to A-B when not powered, so it won't create problems if it doesn't have power.

belize1334

For wiring multistage boost control:

Why don't you just put the stock bcs and an mbc in parallel with a solenoid to mask the signal from the bcs. With the switch off (solenoid open) the signal will go to the waste-gate actuator as soon as it reaches stock boost level (assuming you're not using an ems). If you throw the button it'll mask the signal from the bcs and boost will build until the mbc passes the signal onto the waste-gate actuator. It's a simple two stage setup...for more stages you could have multiple mbcs and all but the one with the highest boost level would need a solenoid between it and the waste-gate actuator.

Yep...looked at that kind of setup for ideas. My stock bcs is long gone, and my low/high will be 20/30 psi, so that doesn't work for me. Good idea for even less money though.

belize1334

Then you could still have two mbcs, one at 20 and one at 30 and just put a solenoid between the 20 and the wga. The benefit to this, as i see it, is that you don't have any air leaks so you won't have slow spool-up. Even so, with that much boost I'd think that electronic control would be more reliable but I'm not an authority.

Last edited:

I love it. I would lol if a bought a car and looked down and saw the alky button ni the factory font. Hardcore right there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned