The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Pump..

turbowop

quote:Originally posted by slvrblt:
I dont understand where people are putting this peice of fuel hose as that would only complicate things.Actually, I think it makes it easier with the fuel hose. If you cut off the flare part of the housing that the pump nozzle inserts into with the o-ring you can install the pump without changing or bending any other part of the bracket because this in turn allows you to install a larger (longer) pump. And you also have no chance of a leak at the o-ring since there isn't one. www.autoperformcaneengineering.com actually sells their kit with the correct amount of hose and the clamps along with the new fuel sock and pump foam sleeve. The hose just goes on the pump nozzle and then the other side to the metal tube where the flange part was cut off. *Simple*

Dan D

I have a 255. It is loud both in and out of the car. I have run with it re-wired and re-un-re-rewired (huh?). It makes no difference in noise level. It was an easy fit. I had to buy a longer screw and bend a bracket a little. Not that this hasn't been covered before

Just buy a Supra pump from Conicelli
smile.gif
Denso quality and drops right in.

gtluke

the supra pump does not just drop right in.
it takes about 5 minutes of modification to get it to fit though. it works fine on DSM's but our galant tanks aren't as deep and it hits the bottom unless you mess arround with it. not hard to do though
-luke-

ken inn

the fuel hose is a good idea, but it will deteriorate in the fuel. it'll take a while, but it will go. they use viton and neoprene, and it is expensive. bmw had intank prepumps for a long time, and they used this design, where the pump is connected to the feed tube by a neoprene hose. over time, the hose would turn hard and shrink, and split. then, the pump would pump air with the gas. this is still common on those cars.

Hertz

Staff member
I have just a Denso pump (not installed) -- I probably need a fuel sock... anything else? Would it be a dealer item or Autozone? Thanks.

Couple notes.

- Luke, I don't know what you're talking about with the Supra pump hitting the bottom of the tank. Hell, I even lowered my pump from the stock location about an inch or two so I could run less fuel when autoxing without cutting out. I now get quite a few more miles after the fuel light comes on full.

-Ken, I've yet to hear of someone's fuel hose deteriorating in their tank and people have been doing this for a long time. BMW definitely had some crappy fuel line in the 80s and any that hasn't already been replaced is almost definitely cracked now. That said, their new 8mm fuel line is great and I use that for everything fuel related. Are you saying that the fuel line is made of two different materials? One on the inside and one on the outside? Because if its all one material, it doesn't care if the fuel is inside or outside...

Mark

ken inn

-Ken, I've yet to hear of someone's fuel hose deteriorating in their tank and people have been doing this for a long time. BMW definitely had some crappy fuel line in the 80s and any that hasn't already been replaced is almost definitely cracked now. That said, their new 8mm fuel line is great and I use that for everything fuel related. Are you saying that the fuel line is made of two different materials? One on the inside and one on the outside? Because if its all one material, it doesn't care if the fuel is inside or outside...

when i was in the shop, i changed out many of these prepumps, and many times it was because of the short hose had split, and the pump output would be way less. on bmw's with carbs, the fuel hose had an outer cloth coat. fuel injected bmw's use the same hose they have always used, except in certain cases(see sib 13 01 93) where it is kevlar reinforced. the reason you have seen different fuel hose is because you probably didnt use an oem brand, which is all we sell. i have been selling this fuel hose for as long as i have been selling parts(20 years). i've changed my return fuel line twice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned