The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel cut? Or something else?

dsmkid

Awesome, Got a palm pilot, now I just need the cable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diego

I just ordered one from amazon the other day for like under $10 shipped. I just wish I know where my OG cable went

MuffinMan7580

Or you can just build your own cable.

1N914 is a diode. They kind of act as a check valve, so that line you see on the diagram refers to a line on the diode. And then there is a resister (10k Ohm). You use a DB9 computer connector. The ALDL side is the OBD1 connector under your dash next to your fuse panel next to your left foot. You can buy everything at a Radio Shack.

Last edited:

MuffinMan7580

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting dsmkid:
I even set the S-AFC to +25% across the board at hi-throttle and the issue still occurs.

Right there is a big problem. Adding that much fuel via an SAFC actually means you're adding 25% airflow to what the ECU sees. Once the ECU sees more airflow than it wants to with the factory eprom, BAM! fuel cut.

I don't think you fully understand exactly what an SAFC does.

He's running a 2g MAS with stock injectors, you have to compensate for the difference in signal. He has it right.

Brunoboy

It's not the correct way though. Make it easier toss some Evo injectors in.
-Shane

MuffinMan7580

What's not correct about it? He changed the input signal to the ECU by added a 2g MAS, which reads roughly 25% less Hertz, and doesn't have the fuel injectors to compensate, so he added 25% to correct it.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

even by adding the correct amount to make it run ok, doesnt mean he should be doing so without a logger or anything to watch knock and timing......

turbowop

Quoting MuffinMan7580:

He's running a 2g MAS with stock injectors, you have to compensate for the difference in signal. He has it right.

By adding all that signal to the ECU, you bring it closer to the fuelcut threshold. I don't understand why this is so difficult for some of you guys to grasp, or why you want to argue with me about it. He asked why he was hitting fuelcut, I gave the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even if the 2gMaf reads less airflow to begin with, the car has airflow mods and is probably flowing enough to cause this issue, and adding signal just exacerbates it.

Last edited:

MuffinMan7580

Yes, because running 14 PSI of boost(with a FMIC) is going to really be making a ton of knock. Especially with the ECU seeing the same reading with the 2g MAS that it would be reading with the 1g MAS. You can argue that he might be running out of fuel, and yes, he possibly is, but again, at 14 psi with a FMIC, you can probably get away with a 12:1 AFR with no knock. Answers like your last one are silly. It's similar to saying, "I don't want to turn the boost up from 20 psi on my 35r until I get onto the dyno, that way I know I'm making more power". People always state that you need a logger or a wideband to do anything, but I call BS. I've seen people make 350 on a street tune without a wideband. Then throw it on a dyno to make 2 pulls just to make sure timing is optimal.

MuffinMan7580

Quoting turbowop:
By adding all that signal to the ECU, you bring it closer to the fuelcut threshold. I don't understand why this is so difficult for some of you guys to grasp, or why you want to argue with me about it. He asked why he was hitting fuelcut, I gave the answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even if the 2gMaf reads less airflow to begin with, the car has airflow mods and is probably flowing enough to cause this issue, and adding signal just exacerbates it.

Agreed, that it's not going to put fuel cut in check. I'm curious as to why people are saying that adding the signal back in is the incorrect way to have his car setup. Yes larger injectors would be ideal, but his car doesn't have larger injectors, so until he does, or gets something else figured out, his tune is pretty close to correct. That is what I'm trying to get across.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts