The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: W2A intercooler - $200 - sold

belize1334

I've decided to downgrade to a slightly smaller intercooler which is a little better matched to my goals. Hence I'm selling this beast. With the original cost of the core and my expense in having it welded I'm in for about $300. I'll sell it for $200 + shipping.

The core is 4.5"x9"x10.125" yielding a massive 405in^3. That's the same size as a spearco 2-230. For more info on what that means in terms of real-world performance check click . If you run some calculations it means that this baby is over 90% efficient (wrt coolant temperature) for 700cfm. Extrapolating to smaller flow it's more like 95% efficient in the 16g range. If you run ice you could be below ambient temps. If you run a front heat exchanger you could be in the realm of a race-spec FMIC. The biggest benefit that you'll see is in throttle response. As far as metered volume goes this thing beats down any short-route FMIC ever imagined.

As you can see it's been modified to accomodate the GVR-4 engine-bay and dual 1G bov setup. You'll also need either a n/t TB or a custom elbow. I'll throw in a 2.75"-3" 90* coupler upon request. It has a bracket welded to the underside so that it can be supported off of the transmission. You'll need to tap the upper grommet on the trans to bolt the bracket down but it's really not a big deal. Also, you cannot use the OEM water neck. You'll need a 1G n/t water neck like the one in the pic. You can find them at the Junk-yard or I'll include the one pictured if you ask nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. BOVs and reservoir not included...

And a disclaimer. I stripped the holes in one of the flages when I was tapping them 'cause I'm a 'tard. As a remedy, I threaded some flush-headed bolts in from the back (major PITA) so that the flange now has permanent "studs". I've had ZERO problems with this setup but I thought it was worth mentioning.

A few more pictures as per request... note that I've got some reflective tape on there to minimize heat soak from the engine bay. Also check out the quality of the welds on the BOV flanges...

Last edited:

curtis

Free bump for a badass setup. Lots of guys around here use the cobra /lightning pumps and the factory heat exchangers from those. both can be picked up cheap on ebay. Even some guys use the 12volt pumps from harbor freight.

belize1334

I'm using a Bosch pump which is OEM from the Ford lineup. It flows about 400ghp and can be had on ebay for ~$100. I also had the Cobra front heat exchanger for a while but I've since upgraded to a larger unit purchased on ebay. With dual 7" fans this should keep the fluid close to ambient temperature which is critical for good cooling. Lastly, I'm also using the reservoir from a late '90s Ford Saleen Supercharger kit though with this next setup I'm hoping to modify the end-tank of the new intercooler to incorporate a fill port directly into the water jacket. If I do I'll be selling the reservoir which retails for ~$70 and must be purchased direct from Saleen.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Awesome setup, pity it doesn't look like it would fit a JDM car because of the location of the brake booster on the throttle body side.

I know im going to get laughed at, but do the BOVs still make noise with that setup? My old car had about 18" of 2.5" pipe for the whole cold side and the bov was silent.

belize1334

I always ran them recirculated so they're not really any louder than stock...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned