The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 1991 Galant VR4, stock 81k, #1218/2000, Upstate NY $7000...SOLD

91GVR4#479

This is going to be a strange post, so please bear with me. I bought this car on this site a little more than a year ago. Posting is still available and details and pictures are best seen on that posting..The topic starter was LT1ULTRaZ and last post was on 01/06/18.

PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THAT ORIGINAL POSTING. All questions and concerns should come to me. Car remains stock

I have now owned a total of six GVR4's, and I am fortunate to have two others that are extensively modified and are daily drivers for me in the summer months. They are 100% reliable and are a real joy to drive and push hard. I say that only to set the stage for the story here. I bought this car with the idea that I would keep it stock, put my 4 Michelin X ice3 snows on it and drive the hell out of it and enjoy it all winter long. Some of you might yell at me for exposing such a pristine clean unrusted VR4 to the winter salt, but I have 2 other VR4's that I put away for the winter and try to protect.

Anyway, I bought this sight unseen, but with great pics and a good story. It was shipped up from Georgia, and truly is like new inside and out, except for some tiny paint chips as expected. It starts and runs beautifully, I had a new clutch put in, and I was happy with the purchase at first. I drove it sparingly, and while on the road one day it stalled out and would not re-start. I left it for several hours, and then it was good as new. I drove it uneventfully for several more days, and then it did the same thing. After leaving it for several hours, it was fine. It stranded me a total of 3 times over several weeks, but unfortunately when I get stranded it is a big problem for me in my work. My mechanic for these cars is 2.5 hrs away in Rochester. I took the car to him, and he drove it back and forth to work for greater than a week before it stalled out on him. It only happens occasionally, but when it happens it will not re-start for hours. The rest of the time it is perfect.

That is the honest story. My mechanic is Cory at STM in Rochester. It is a high performance tuning shop and he knows these cars well. He has worked on my other cars and prepped one of my cars multiple times when I have driven it at Watkins Glen on track days. He replaced the ECU, and no change. We thought it might be in the fuel delivery system, but he tells me it is not.

The bottom line is that this is a pristine, beautiful car with a good engine, good transmission, and rust free and gorgeous in and out. It just has a "gremlin" that is not obvious to us so far, and I am not going to make this a project to figure this out.

I am going to take a hit for several thousand dollars on this car, but I have been very fortunate in the past with all my other GVR4's, and I just want to sell it to someone who will figure this out and appreciate it. The car will likely drive fine if you test drive it, but I would plan on trailering it home b/c I would not trust it to drive home.

I am not looking for suggestions as to what might be the problem, or how to fix it.

Thanks.

$7000

Last edited:

engiekev

Shot in the dark, but sounds like it could be a loose/bad ground that is intermittent. Good luck with the sale!

91GVR4#479

Unfortunately I don't have/own the pics. I have tried to avoid dragging the previous owner into this thread. If absolutely necessary I can get the people at STM in Rochester to take additional pics, but the remaining pics that are still available to view give a good idea of the car. For anyone who is seriously interested in the car, call me at 3157944207 and I'll try to fill the gaps in information. I have no interest in deceiving or taking advantage of anyone here. If it were not for this unexplained intermittent stalling issue, this would be a $10k+ car. Whoever buys this and gets it figured out will have a truly rare remaining superb quality stock VR4 at a bargain price.

turbofonz

Why couldn't I have seen this yesterday. I just drove past Rochester, with a trailer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CutlassJim

Because you're already worse than me with buying Galants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbofonz

It's more than I'd ever want to spend, but yolo:?

91GVR4#479

Cory and Shawna at STM in Rochester were kind enough to send me new pics of my car. Please understand that the car has not been detailed in any way. The pics they sent were too big to upload, and I have tried to reduce the size.....I hope this works. I can send the pics directly via email if someone wants to see them.. Thx.

[email protected]

img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts