The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Foam or sealant for the fireware

Hondasi88

I just finished re-doing my shifter cables. I put all my nuts and bolts and rubber pieces for the cables in a box that my son decided to put out for the trash man. My question is this...I found all the bolts in crap through a junkyard sweep but i don't have the rubber or bracket for the firewall. Now, all the fumes is getting into the car from the engine bay. Is there some automotive foam or sealant i could buy from advanced or pepboy?

JNR

Usually the foam (especially) and sealants are almost too flexible, but can work in a pinch. Personally, I'd look for a grommet that is the proper size and they do make the kind that have a slit to wrap around the cable, although the better way is to remove the cable end, slide the grommet over that until you reach the firewall. Probably should emulate a baracket if you can't find an oem stocker, just to keep everything nice and secure (there's a decent movement inside that will probably have it flop around to an extent).

Hondasi88

ima just hit the junk yard again and look for a replacement....its only the rubber and some bolts.

JNR

That would be the best bet...just check to be sure the rubber isn't cracked or extra brittle...silicone lubricant/spray works great to keep rubber supple and bring it back to life (within reason), fwiw. You can also use dielectric grease, but do not use vaseline, as that will not be compatible.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned