The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FEELER: Gauging interest in CF bits

rmontalvo23

I'd be interested in some CF bits also. One thing I have been thinking about is making a custom gauge holder from CF that replaces the A/C Controls. Three knobs = 3 gauges. below that where the L/F control and Hot/Cold switch is that area you could fit some other electronics as well.

I've been out of the country for some time now so I haven't been able to mock anything up. I do have a spare A/C control panel sitting in my garage.

CF Front lip! I am definitely in.

5OF2k

I'd be interested in RS style hood, wingless trunk, and an interior guage holder for either the speaker or badge area, FWIW.

Git 'ER DONE!

-Jake

dc_style

Quoting 5OF2k:
I'd be interested in RS style hood, wingless trunk, and an interior guage holder for either the speaker or badge area, FWIW.

Git 'ER DONE!

-Jake

i second this

holeshotmoe

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Radio trim or cover panel would be nice. Also AMG style grill.

I like the AMG grill but I think it would be cool to come up with a similar, but new one off design in CF.

ducttapeguy

Lots going on at work last week. I got to talk to my buddy a little bit and he still says he is down for making whatever he can. I will be dropping parts off tomorrow for molds. The parts Im dropping off are:
Driver and passenger A pillars(Gonna try for stock and one with gauge pods)
Driver and passenger headliner trim
92 Grill
Driver side speaker gauge pod (dual 52mm IIRC)
Single din radio bezel with pocket on the bottom
Stock hood(We will be making at least 2 molds. One stock, one vented GT500 style)
Wingless trunk(I was told that you can drill the CF for mounting a wing with no issues)

I will be discussing prices for all this with him tomorrow as well. I dont think it will be too bad since our hoods and trunks are pretty basic and he can use leftover trimmings for the smaller pieces. We shall see. I will have a better update for yall at some point tomorrow.

Tyler

ducttapeguy

Didnt get a chance to drop the parts off today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif His truck broke down out of town, but I am following him to his shop after work tomorrow and Get all this jazz started. I also added a center console cup holder to the list of things Im dropping off

EHmotorsports

On the hood and trunk I would even be cool with fiberglass if its made lightweight. And priced accordingly.

Last edited:

Olson

This is my thought process.
Hood
Trunk
Fenders
Skirts
Doors
Bumpers
In that order.
All the body cladding on these car are heavy as hell compared to other cars now adays.
-Jake

ducttapeguy

I finally got the parts dropped off today. I didnt get any pics of previous work he has done. I had to offload the parts and jet. I will keep trying to get some pics for you guys. As for pricing, we have discussed it a bit and it turns out I either misheard or misunderstood him when he told me about the no profit thing. He told me today that he would be increasing the price depending on cost of materials and difficulty/time making the parts. He made a rough guess at price for materials at around $400. He couldnt make a decent guess on price of a finished hood or trunk since he doesnt have anything to base his approximate time and difficulty on. He did however say it would be easy and pretty cheap to make the A pillars, headliner trim, radio bezel with pocket, cup holder, and dual gauge speaker pod.

Sorry that this is the best update I can give right now. I will continue to try and get more detailed information for you guys.

About the hoods. He will be making a mold of a stock hood and probably one, but possibly two, vented hoods. The vented will either be a GT500 esque vent molded into the hood as a clean permanent vent, or possibly JDM style vents also permanently attached. The problem with the JDM vents is that I dont have any for use as molds. If someone could get me good pics of the JDM vents along with dimensions it might be possible to recreate them from scratch. If that can be done then I dont see why we couldnt make CF JDM vents separate from the hood as well. Either way, it would be very helpful if someone with a vented hood of some kind posted up some nice clear hi-res pics of their hood from multiple angles. Specifically, a GT500 vented hood and a JDM hood. Anyone else with other hoods that have been modified in some way please feel free to post up some quality pics as well. Maybe we could end up making a badass custom hood that pleases most people and works well with the body lines. We shall see.

Thanks
Tyler

ktmrider

Quoting ducttapeguy:
About the hoods. He will be making a mold of a stock hood and probably one, but possibly two, vented hoods. The vented will either be a GT500 esque vent molded into the hood as a clean permanent vent, or possibly JDM style vents also permanently attached. The problem with the JDM vents is that I dont have any for use as molds. If someone could get me good pics of the JDM vents along with dimensions it might be possible to recreate them from scratch. If that can be done then I dont see why we couldnt make CF JDM vents separate from the hood as well. Either way, it would be very helpful if someone with a vented hood of some kind posted up some nice clear hi-res pics of their hood from multiple angles. Specifically, a GT500 vented hood and a JDM hood. Anyone else with other hoods that have been modified in some way please feel free to post up some quality pics as well. Maybe we could end up making a badass custom hood that pleases most people and works well with the body lines. We shall see.

Thanks
Tyler

Here's one shot of the aborted JDM CF hood fiasco. If you remember HiRev first molded a USDM hood underside skin in fiberglass then overlayed a wet CF uppper skin from a JDM hood ( without telling the group first ). Results are obvious:

So hood-wise he may want to sacrifice an old underside skin with the hole already cut for molding. Otherwise it looks like doo-doo.

I'm still down for a GT500 type hood. May even consider a RT to TX however my work schedule is ugly til Sept.

Olson

Stock hood with a molded GT500 vent as one piece. Is that what your talking about Ducttape?

ducttapeguy

You are correct Olson. I had an extra trunk and hood hanging out in storage so I handed them over and told him to make up a mold for both. We then discussed cutting up the extra hood to make a mold for a vented hood. Thats the route I think we are going to take. I have been looking at Jeremy's RHD VR4 with its hood that is just pure sex and Im considering trying to have something along those lines made as well. I dont know. I tend to get excited and come up with all kinds of ideas but I never seem to be able to afford them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ghostinthevr4

I'm in for a hood with gt style vents. I was gonna hunt some hood vents down but if this happens I'll be golden. I could have vents to reduce under hood tempature and have a lighter hood, the stock hood is a heavy pig.

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting InitialdVR4:
this hood needs to be made!! click

I would pay a premium for this hood. I think if it was built properly it would sell very well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts