The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Face Plated gear sets from Liberty Transmission

Mdlimy

EMX, that is a great idea, i will definitely be doing it to 1137!

How do you like the faceplated gears? have you had the transmission apart after putting some miles on it?

EMX5636

I love the gearset. I still daily the car at least half the week to work, errands, take the bikes/snowboards somewhere etc. I had it apart after about 500 miles (just the end and middle cover) and they look new. I've drained the fluid a couple times to check for metal and nothing significant. I have probably just over 5k miles on it now, with the exact same shifting quality as a couple days after install. Seriously, once you get the hand of dragging the clutch between shifts, it's crisper than anything but maybe a brand new fresh synchro box.

4thStroke

How much power is the gearbox seeing? I want to go this route but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger, I'd hate to dump a bunch of money into a a Liberty setup and rip the gears apart a short while after.

EMX5636

I am running 500-540whp probably through mine with no failures. I didn't have any gear failures on the normal "built" trans I did for it when I put the car together either.

For power numbers, I always tell people, anything past about 650whp on a 2.0L and like 600whp on a stroker or some 2.0 turbo setups that make higher than standard torque numbers, is asking a lot and on borrowed time. The gears are too narrow to really take tons of abuse at high power levels. Obviously, people have had good luck higher than that, but definitely don't expect it, or just don't abuse the car much. You will shred 3rd or 4th gear, and usually take out the center diff housing, with a ton of power and passes. Weight also has a HUGE effect on this. Tin can 1G's will hold together much longer than a full weight 1G, VR4, 2G DSM etc. It seems a lot is fluid/heat related also, so try to avoid hot-lapping the car, and try running a higher quality maybe thicker fluid. I run Motul Comp Gear 75W140.

For the guys shooting for 700+hp, Auto or full aftermarket gearsets are really the only reliable option long term.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned