The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

F4A22 tranny issues

misterfixit

Yup sorry my bad,
i'd forgotten the damper cluch solenoid. Thats only on boxes with a lock up torque converter. I cannibalised a box off a mirage with a 4g92 and that didn't have lockup.

Here's the S/B:

Off topic abit, but related. (knew it was something to do with the solenoids.

Here's the powerflow diagrams for the box. This shows whats operating at each mode.

I'd be inclined to follow the rear cluch line of enquiry. If you can check the solenoid out ok then it looks like a teardown may be in order.

Here's a couple of pics of the valveblock (this is mine post rebuild).

Apologies for the slowness of the reply.

Rich

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
He isn't even registered on the org anymore.

bazeng

Damn. Looks like it will be trial and error for me. F4a22 will hopefully survivea 2.3 gt30 setup. For cruising anyway.

fuel

I thought you were going to use an F4A31/33? They are much much stronger than the small F4A22 (used on 1.5 Mirages and the like).

bazeng

If only I could find one. I bought a Galant gsr so this is basically the test gearbox. The tcu wiring loom and shifter is compatible so the swap over when the right gearbox comes will be easy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned