The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

exhaust or boost leak?

So i recently bought a vr4 galant after selling my nissan 240sx I like the car a lot, but after driving it for a couple days and then noticed that i could hear an odd sound like i had a hole in my exhaust system. I looked under the car and other a small dent in my downpipe there was nothing. I went for a drive to try and figure it out and when i reached boost i noticed I was only at 9 lbs when I'm supposed to be running at 15? could it be that something came loose and thats why the car sounds and runs like crap?

any help would be great

solidviper89

exhaust leaks after turbo (i.e. downpipe) don't directly affect the performance. If you have an exhaust leak where exhaust manifold meets the head, or where turbine housing meets the exhaust manifold; then you have a problem.

or cracked manifold/turbine housings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Boost leaks are found with a BL tester, what kind of turbo setup do you have on car?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quite possibly a cracked manifold.

I have a large 16g turbo and just a log manifold right now. Should I pull the heat shield off and start looking for cracks?

so somehow my downpipe came off from where it connects to the rest of my exhaust but I got new bolts and new gaskets. Ill let you know what happens when i finish it all up.

thanks guys

Ok so everything went back together smoothly but I still seem to notice odd things about the car. If i pull it out of gear and its at high rpms when they go to steady at an idle the car usually dies. the rpms go so low the car just shuts off or sometimes it will catch itself but barely. what could cause this?

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting rockvr4:
the rpms go so low the car just shuts off or sometimes it will catch itself but barely. what could cause this?

Your idle/BISS is not set correctly, and/or the speed sensor (reed switch) in the instrument cluster is dead.

yeah my bov goes right back into the intake just short of the inlet on the turbo. Could that be effecting something?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned