The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo8 stock springs.

MellowVR4

will the evo8 stock springs lower my gvr4 at all, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifjust wondering. let me know thnx.

jepherz

Staff member
I think he's maybe questioning evo springs on stock galant struts. Not the entire evo8 suspension.

I'm getting ready to throw stock evo springs on my AGXs. I'll let you know next week once they're installed.

prove_it

I put rear springs on my stock GVR4 rear struts and I know the rear springs will bolt on, it is kinda tricky as they aren't a perfect fit, but they will lower the rear. Not sure on the front though. I never tried that. The Evo spring is shorter in height than the stock spring so I'm thinking it will lower the car too.... maybe

MellowVR4

Yea the evo ones are shorter but i think they are alot stiffer so, i hope they do lower just a tad when i install my agx and springs. I dont want my car that low.

Muskrat

Quoting jepherz:
I think he's maybe questioning evo springs on stock galant struts. Not the entire evo8 suspension.

Strut doesn't affect ride height, unless the spring perch is significantly different? So what that thread says should hold true no matter the strut.

Last edited:

belize1334

The rear evo springs are bee-hive shaped so that they're narrower at the top than the bottom. Compared to the OEM springs, the bottoms are slightlynarrower but will still sit on the spring perch once there is a little weight to force them down. The tops are much too narrow for the rubber insulator so you'll need to either buy evo top-hats or else get some window-weld and mold your own upper insulators. The ride height is lower than stock but not extreme and they are quite a bit stiffer than stock - supposedly ~ 225lb/in.

The fronts will drop right into your stock struts and top-hats but they're much too tall and will lift the front end. You can cut them down but I think that's a bad fix and I wouldn't recommend it.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Muskrat:
Quoting jepherz:

Strut doesn't affect ride height, unless the spring perch is significantly different? So what that thread says should hold true no matter the strut.

But there's no picture in that thread that compares the two strut bodies.

MellowVR4

Quoting belize1334:
The rear evo springs are bee-hive shaped so that they're narrower at the top than the bottom. Compared to the OEM springs, the bottoms are slightlynarrower but will still sit on the spring perch once there is a little weight to force them down. The tops are much too narrow for the rubber insulator so you'll need to either buy evo top-hats or else get some window-weld and mold your own upper insulators. The ride height is lower than stock but not extreme and they are quite a bit stiffer than stock - supposedly ~ 225lb/in.

The fronts will drop right into your stock struts and top-hats but they're much too tall and will lift the front end. You can cut them down but I think that's a bad fix and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yea one time i installed the front springs on stock shocks and they did lift the car a tad witch did not look kool. so how much of the spring would be resonable to cut if i had too, before i gets to be uncomfterble ride.

belize1334

Evo springs are already softer in front than back so the increased stiffness that comes from cutting is actually quite welcome. The problem with cutting is that the springs are "flattened" at the ends in order to seat into the perch and the top-mount. If you cut them then they no-longer seat correctly and you have to weld a retaining bracket to keep the spring from popping out. People have done it and had good results but I just don't like the idea myself.

Start reading in the info-archive about the evo suspension swap and you'll see what I mean. Those writeups involve using evo front struts but the part about cutting the front spring is applicable even if you're using DSM front struts.

As for the struts affecting ride height, I agree that the spring perches are probably located in a very similar location in order to clear the tires. But, since evos do run bigger wheels they may actually be a little higher than the DSM perches. That would mean that you'd get less lift with DSM struts than with the Evo struts. It'd be worth installing the springs uncut and checking the ride height. Then you can pull it apart and cut it if you want.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

awwrr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif that sounds like a headich.

belize1334

Agreed. That's why I run Evo8 rear springs and do-it-yourself coil-overs in front.

MellowVR4

LOL DIY coilovers? i never herd of that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned