The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo8 ecu=Pure WIN! Details inside.....

QnzMostWanted

i dunno about that Leon, i know guys who know EVOSCAN and ECUFLASH so well that they can tune u so easily, I guess its a matter of preference, i'll prefer newer technology vs older...But i already know how to tune with EVOSCAN so i guess it wont be a problem for me....my advice for people is to download it and play with it before u swap unless u already have a tuner

381gvr4

Quoting Leon_R:
Quoting Okayplayer:
I'm surprised more people aren't getting on this mod. I think that it's pretty cool that you can put modern computing in an older car. And it seems to be very cost effective sans some sweat equity. I haven't tried ecmlink or dsmlink yet, but to me I don't see the downside of this.

You want a downside? It isn't a DSMLink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Seriously, because you are coming modded chip world, this seems so awesome (and it is very good), but if you had DSMLink, you might have a differnt opinion... Have you actually tried tunning with this ECU?

Log -> Review -> Adjust -> Log (over and over)

This process is much more seamless in the DSM Link.

EVO ECU is better suited for hard core hackers, who MUST put their own spin on things! Where as DSM Link "just works" and does so extremely well! It is similar to Droid vs. iPhone debate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

You do know that some people convert their EVOs to 2G ECU w/DSM Link, right? Ask them for the downside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Both are good options, EVO ECU is cheaper, so if you have limited budget, it might be a better choice (only if you are up for a tuning challenge, or have a friend who is) Or... You could just get used DSM Link, just make sure you are not getting counterfeit copy (older versions).

If you're lazy or not tech savy, this may be true. Also the guys I know that converted to 2g with dsmlink in their EVO is mostly due to not wanting to relearn a new system.

I HAVE FOUND ZERO DOWNSIDE! Cheap, super effective and with the new mapping almost endless tuning possiblities! To each his own.....

BTW, welcome Masshole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif J/K

Last edited:

mikus

Quote:
If you're lazy or not tech savy

One can't really call users of either system lazy or not tech saavy? It's like Einstein calling Feynman a bandwagoner. Let's keep it to the actual pros & cons

381gvr4

^ Again, lazy in the sense of not wanting to learn a new system!

I started this thread to convey that I have found ZERO downside to this! I questioned whether or not it would work 100% effective and it has. I was simply addressing LEONS downside of ITS NOT DSMLINK. With exception of finding the right map to have no CEL for missing/shutdown sensors it has been a great system to tune and as far as performance its awesome!

Leon_R

You can call it lazy, but I call it picking my battles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. DSM Link is just EASIER to use! And it works just as well (if not better, in SD mode)!

Many people ask me what I think of WRXs and STI's, I say: "Nice cars, but they are not Mitsus". If Mitsu didn't exsist, I would probably be a Subaru guy, and if DSM Link didn't exsist, I would probably use EVO ECU for street cars and AEM EMS for race cars : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

broxma

Not to break in, but if people are switching to a DSMlink/2G setup on an Evo, I think the "Didn't want to learn a new system" premise is very strong. I'd wager it would be hard to find a person running that setup that didn't fall into the category of, "previous Link user", or "person heavily influenced by previous link owner". No one just one day decided, hey, I bet the DSMLink rules over the stock Evo ECU without seeing either system. For all practical matters, the amount of time spent in development on disassembling the Evo program rivals or exceeds almost any other effort I've ever seen, all of it done by normal folks in a single section of a single forum. How much would Cobb have to pay for that amount of tech work? Millions I assure you.

That being said, I just took the upper charge pipe and intake manifold off to get the IAT bung and MAP sensor spot welded on tomorrow. Sometime this weekend hopefully, I'll finalize the switch to the AEM and have my old setup for sale provided it all works as planned.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned