The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 wiring

bcjjones

I'm in the process of wiring up an evo 8 ecu. I'm currently on pin 3 of the evo 8 ecu which goes to the fuel pressure solenoid. Only problem is, there is no wire coming out of the evo 8 harness on pin 3. Just making sure I am in fact missing a wire and im not supposed to skip 3 and use the 4th wire as pin 3 going to the fuel pressure solenoid?

Also, if I am in fact missing a wire, how would I go about pulling one of the unused wires from the harness connector and moving it to pin 3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

bcjjones

And is there ANY other easier way then freaking soldering the wires on!!!

Most frustrating thing i've ever done!

tektic

First off, if you haven't already done so, take the harness out of the car and work like a gentlemen. At the very least take the ecu plugs out through the fire wall so you don't have to solder from your belly below your dash board.

Now make sure your reading the schematics right. Orientation is everything when it comes to the numbering. If your missing a wire that you know should be there and your only up to 3 chances are that your looking at the numbering backwards.

there are little plastic keepers in the front side of the connectors. remove the plastic keeper and slide a small screwdriver in the back to release the metal pin. Then you can slide the metal female pin out. there are instructions better in the vfaq.

label every wire before you cut or remove anything. It will make your life much easier.

bcjjones

I've worked with a few schematics before, i'm positive the orientation is correct. Also im not cutting the factory harness and soldering the wires together. I'm trying to solder the wires to a female plug taken off a spare 1g ecu. It's just hard soldering them to the little piece of contact sticking out the back.

If anyone has an easier way to do this please let me know!

Thanks for the help though man!

vicore

if you have another 1G ecu try to solder the female side out. you should have ~1 inch of the contact. more than you should need /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

bcjjones

Yea I guess the person who took this female end out of the ecu decided not to leave very much sticking out the back. I only have about a quarter inch to work with and its basically impossible.

Deciding whether or not to just cut into the stock harness. How many of yall have done this and how much does it depreciate the value of the car?

vicore

I'd rather look for another female ecu plug side than cutting the cars harness - just think of checking if the harness is made correct or a failire in your harness causes a mailfunction. the possibility to switch back is a kind opportunity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bcjjones

Yea and I did it on my Talon, cut into the stock harness, I regretted it. Looks ugly and can never go back to original. Im just gunna pay a local computer repair place to solder everything for me, dependent on price. I have it there right now.

I thought about just putting a socket in the eprom in the car and buying another ostrich 2.0 and just running speed density like my talon. I have an extra socket and the eprom in the car but would have to buy everything else.

Any major benefits to running an evo 8 ecu as opposed to that? I mean, is the tuning capabilities much more advanced on the evo 8? Some say its just as good as any stand alone.

quato

Ok, if you need the female side of the 1g/GVR4 ecu I have one that I can send your way for the cost of shipping. It has about 3/4 of an inch on each pin for you to work with. That was my setup before and I decided to just solder all the GVR4 wires into the correct pins on my EVO ecu plugs.

There should definitely be a pin there in the pin #3 spot for you to connect to. If you need extra pins, I might be able to dig up a place that you can order the actual pins from and you can crimp the pins directly on your existing wires.

As for how powerful the Evo 8 ecu is...pretty dang powerful! I haven't run into anything where I would need something like an AEM but then again, my build isn't super crazy yet. Over on evolutionm.net there are a TON of awesome write ups from people who have been there, done that and become experts on. I'm running a 60-1 with 1150 injectors and I'm running an Apex-i boost control solenoid that is hitting and holding 21psi all the way to redline. It does take some tinkering and a willingness to learn but it's a lot of fun.

Also, the way I look at it, it's a good stepping stone to going full stand-alone if I ever go that route. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on messing with maps and doing custom tunes to help my start-up and whatnot. If you have any questions feel free to ask and if I can't answer, I probably know to point you in the right direction.

Keep with it...the Evo ecu mod is the best thing I've done to my car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned