The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo-8 steering rack in gvr4

curtis

I helped my buddy build a cobra kit car years ago he ended up using some pinto /mustang II steering rack it sucked so we went out to the circle track store in town and got a steering multiplier gearbox. It was huge and a pain in the ass to deal with not like the new smaller boxes like below. Little car with a 351 stroker and 2 inch long tubes to deal with but it worked a little to well I though but he loved it. Imagine having your hand at 12 o'clock on the wheel at 100mph going down the interstate...If you turn to the left to change lanes and it moves 10 degrees to do so with one of these it only takes 5 degrees. It definitely makes you pay attention. To install on a VR'4 you would probably have to do some serious work under the dash and build some mounts but is doable.

click me.

Here's the whole list on ebay.

click me.

jepherz

Staff member
Of course it's do-able. Both are. I'd like to see the evo8 rack, but it's a lot more expensive and time consuming for whoever wants to try it.

gtluke

sounds like the gvr4 RS rack is the way to go.
someone sell me one

3rdstrikedsm

^^ That is rhd so It would require some custom work and for that may as well try the evo 8 rack.

I know on old mg's and triumph's you would just "flip the rack" but I am sure it is not going to be that easy on a power rack, I do have an evo 2 rack somewhere I need to locate that and have a look.

gtluke

They never sold any on the main lands? Germany?

Last edited:

So a 17.8:1 rack with a 2:1 quickener would become an 8.9:1 rack?

Didn't somebody else on here install a quickener in their Galant? I remember reading about it somewhere and thinking I may want one for my Talon someday to help out the manual rack's ratio.

Larry Parker

The steering rack in the VR4 is the worst! Its one of my biggest issues in racing the car... If I keep mine I will install a 1.5:1 quickner this spring... The evo's rack does mount a bit different, but anything can be done im sure... Also there are custom motorsport units that might be an option... BIG BUCKS!

click,48,363&action=category

belize1334

As Jeff said, the quickener can be installed in the steering column. It takes some welding etc. A 1.5:1 is pretty easy to get and takes 17.8:1 down to 11.87:1. That's just a bit quicker than an evo. IMHO that'd be great for autocross but a bit too twitchy for the street. If 1.25:1 quickeners were available I think that'd be a better option as it takes 17.8:1 down to 14:1 which would be a decent compromise. Still, you're pretty much stuck at 1.5 or 2 as far as I can tell so the point is moot. The nice thing about a steering column modification is that it is PRE-rack, so your turning radius and steering angles are all unaffected; it just affects the driver/car communication.

Last edited:

Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know the ratio of a DSM manual rack?

Also, do the quickeners increase the steering effort? I recall somebody saying a manual rack with a quickener would be even harder to turn.

belize1334

Yes, when you put in a rack, you are decreasing the driver's mechanical advantage. In a power steering car this is not such a big deal since the system does the work. Still, for a given system it will always require more effort to turn the wheel if you place a quickener between the wheel and the rack. On a manual steering rack this affect will be significant which is the reason for having such high ratios in manual steering vehicles.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting dsm_drew:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know the ratio of a DSM manual rack?

Also, do the quickeners increase the steering effort? I recall somebody saying a manual rack with a quickener would be even harder to turn.

I believe the 17.8:1 or whatever I quoted in that other thread WAS the DSM ratio. I wasn't aware until now (seeing a few posts) that there was any difference between a vr4 and a manual DSM.

belize1334

Another random thought along this line. How is the speed sensitive steering accomplished on the Evos? Is it truly speed sensitive or is it RPM sensitive like ours? I'm thinking that maybe the pump could be adapted to work in place of ours for a better power steering feel.

mean_green

Bringing new life to this thread...

Where and who makes a quickener for our cars? Sounds like 1.5 is the only way to go if you want better handling but drive on the streets?

How does a 1g ps rack compare to a GVR4 ps rack?

Im looking into doing a swap for less ps lines and then might as well do a quickener while its accessible. My favorite thing about my buddy's ebo is the steering/handling. I would like to get close to that in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
-Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned