The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ETACS confusion

strokin4dr

I am having an issue with my passenger front window, which has me looking at wiring diagrams lately and it has led to some confusion and conflicting info on the board. I have read through a few old threads and still can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have read that these cars are ETACS equipped, but I can't seem to confirm it. The "small silver box" above the fuse box that some have said is the ETACs control unit is actually the cruise control unit.

Where is the ETACS control unit located???

Here is the box that has been said to be the ETACS box. With this removed from the vehicle everything (windows, locks, lights, wipers, etc.) still work fine but cruise is dead.

prove_it

ETACS: Electronic Theft Alarm Contol System. Yes we have it. It's the brains behind the green security light that comes on when locking the door.

The box is above the clutch pedal, it's a pita to see and get, but it will say etacs on it. What issue are you having?

strokin4dr

This is from mitsubishi's website, ETACS: Electronic Total Automobile Control System. In the wiring diagrams for a '91 galant, It shows the ETACS box being tied into the power window system. So that is where I am confused.

My issue is my passenger front window is non-operational. I can get it to work by jumping a ground so I know it is not the switches (I've tried 3 known good ones at the master switch and the passenger switch) or the window motor.
When testing the passenger switch, I am not getting a ground signal go the RED/BLUE wire. If I backprobe and jump this wire to the BLACK/BLUE wire, the window works perfectly fine, BUT only from the passenger side switch. If this fixed the issue and allowed the master switch to work too, I'd be fine with this fix, but this isn't going to cut it.

Also, this window worked fine when I bought the car and randomly stopped working after a couple months from what I remember. (mostly driven on the weekends and don't use the windows, other than the driver's side, very often.
-Ryan

prove_it

Any aftermarket remote start or door locks? Otherwise nothing tapped into the wiring?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ryan,

The ETACS is attached to the junction block (also holds the fuses) on the LH side under the dash. I think it is a light blue in color if I remember correctly.

Sounds like you may just have a broken wire somewhere.

SouthCaliVR4

If you look at the "disabling alarm" tech thread I had put a couple o pics in there with where the etacs is mounted in the car but... if your windows are powering up your problem does not lay there. it only provides power to the windows it does not control individual window function.

It sounds like you have a master switch issue or perhaps a wiring problem, likely broken in the door jamb.

strokin4dr

I searched and couldn't find your post that you're referring to. Post a link.
Anyway, I am assuming you are talking about the black box directly above the silver cruise control box I posted a pic of. I'll check it out when I get home.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts