The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

electrical issues....I think

I just bought a 91 vr4 and it does some weird stuff. I thought maybe some of the smart people of the vr4 world could help me out.

WEIRD STUFF:
-sometimes the sun roof will work and sometimes it wont.
-when the car is running if i turn the head lights on the check engine light will come on.
-I was driving it the other night and the dash lights and the heat and ac lights turned off.

any help would be great.

TJ

ktmrider

Poor or bad grounds, alternator output would be my first checks.

Problems with your fuse box or a ground is my guess. Check all your fuse's and replace where needed.

i checked the alternator it was good and the ground was good.... i also checked the fuses. i pulled all of them and cecked them and they all were good.

These things are all part of the interior electrical system. I'd look at the electrical schematics and try to find something they all have in common, such as power distribution. A short or other malfunction in the dimmer switch would effect the dash and HVAC lights, and it's powered by the headlight switch (although I don't know how that would cause the CEL). Where does the sunroof get its power? Has any of the wiring under the dash been chopped up/spliced/modded? Did this just start happening by itself or did it begin after a recent mod/repair/etc?

the mods on the car are: 16g turbo, fmic, dsm link v3,turbo timer, aem uego. I belive that is it. I looked at the dimmer swith and somebody has rewired it i think. the problem might led back to that.

thanks for the info so far guys

Hertz

Staff member
You need to read the stored CEL (Check Engine Light) codes, might give you a starting point. Check vfaq.com if you don't know how.

the cel only comes on for a split second when i turn the head lights on then goes off

i checked the fuse for the tail lights and it was blown so i replaced it and it blew as soon as i turned the lights on.... i need yalls help BAD

You could try a bigger fuse, but that still won't solve the under lying problem. Definitely not a electrical guy, so hopefully someone with some more knowledge can help you on that. Your car sounds haunted man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif good luck

I thought about a bigger fuse but it's blowing for a reason and i don't want to mess something else up if the bigger fuse wont blow...and yes i believe it is haunted

I think the check engine light is something else, though you may still want to have it checked. I wouldn't put a bigger fuse, not very wise.

Quote:
These things are all part of the interior electrical system. I'd look at the electrical schematics and try to find something they all have in common,

It might be the dimmer switch, maybe there's a wire up underneath the glove box that has been kicked and is shorting out, or the door jam wireways.
Your problem sounds to me like a short.

do you have water in your tail light housing? are the bulb sockets/connectors corroded?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm gonna check the cell tonight... i've looked at the dimmer switch wires and i can't find anything there but i do believe it is a short somewhere.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned