The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

[Edit] Under coat final finish

blacksheep

Does one remove all the brake and fuel lines and then spray over, or do you just coat them while attached.

VR4Junkie - Please let us know what reducer you go with it etc, I would really love to do this to mine. Thanks!

Vr4junkie

Will do blacksheep I will be taking a trip to my local Napa Auto Parts/Paint store tomorrow after noon to see what they got and recommend.

I would like to remove All the lines then shoot the under coat and paint All the lines Black to give it a clean look they told me they got an automotive industrial gloss black paint oil/corrosive resistance kind of paint so might go with that for the suspension parts and lines.

Vr4junkie

So I just got back and this is what they got but they don't know if this is the right kind for this product so I'm ganna have to ask around.

Vr4junkie

Ok just got these in the mail and I been reading the bottle top to bottom and says nothing about reducer or diluter I just got off the the phone with 3M technical support and they say to use this product straight off the bottle.

So blacksheep hope that answers your question.

Pot not sure if this product has changed over the years were you dont need any reducer hope I make it with these two bottles.

But ill keep you guys posted on updates when ever I get around to it.

img.php

img.php

pot

Staff member
Hmmm, that is interesting. I used it straight out of the bottle the first time however it clogged my 3M gun. As in I had to use paint thinner to clean out the nozzle it was so bad. This was at 3 different air pressure settings starting from 90, 60, and 30 respectively. The Carolina heat in the dead of summer may have had something to do with it as well. I wound up adding about 4 - 6 shot glasses of an off the shelf reducer from the local auto store and that stopped the clogging. I undercoated 893 in the summer of 2008 so I don't think the product has changed all that much. It could also have had to do with sitting on my shelf for at least 6 months too.

I bet had I called the 3M technical support line I wouldn't have had the above issue. I just encourage you to take a few practice runs on a spare trailing arm or something and be prepared in case your gun clogs.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Ok for any body that wants to try this I highly recommend a MINIMUM of 4 bottles to get a nice even coat if your doing what im doing from Fire wall to all the way back to gas tank area removing sub frames and all.

blacksheep

Thanks a lot for posting. I really want to do this and you are inspiring me. Did you drop the gastank and all the fuel/brake lines or did you coat over them?

Vr4junkie

Yes sir gas tank fuel and brake lines were taken out check out my build thread if you're planning on doing this and going all out getting under the fenders and all I would recommend 6 bottle cause 2 is not even close to enough I just ordered 4 more bottles ill keep you guys posted on the total amount I use and end results.

Vr4junkie

If you are planning on doing this heres what I been using some oven cleaner you can get this at the 99cent store I recommend the orange one has no CFC so its not bad for the ozone layer. All in all I used about 11 of theses cans and they work great for heavy build up.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Ok so heres the final results in total I used 6 bottles wouldn’t hurt to have one more pics dont look that good looks alot better in person. I got all under the wheel wells and under carriage from behind the fire wall to gas tank area.

turbophein

I'm going to be doing this soon. Noticed you bought pints not quarts' Which is probably why you needed so many bottles. 2quarts should be plenty.

NDVR4

Since I live in a salt and rust area, I am going to do this to 1880. My question is does the rubberized coating hold up to gravel roads, and has anyone considered using a pickup bed liner like rhino liner?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned