The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dyno Chart Oddity **Update 1.1**

belize1334

But your spool-up still looks weird. At what rpm does the boost first get to 15psi? If it's more than about 3500rpm you've got an issue with spool. And the fact that you can't run more than 15psi indicates to me that there's something wrong with the waste-gate or you have it hooked up wrong. Then the way the power drops off could be 'cause the ECU is pulling timing due to a knocking issue. Do you have any logs? Are you monitering knock on the stock boost gauge?

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Boost comes on real fast...I'd say between 3k and 3.5k. I don't know how the external could be hooked up wrong. If I turn off my boost controller I doesn't build much boost at all. And yes I am monitoring knock with the stock boost gauge, and I am seeing nothing. Power feels fine in the lower Gears...car feels powerful even close to redline in 1-3, but 4 and 5 is when I'm experiencing the power drop off and smoke. The Dyno pull was in 4th gear and shows this. It seems like the increased load of the higher gears at full boost and higher revs is when this occurs.

BPU925

wat size spring u got in the external?....u got this piece in there?(pic).....this caused really bad spool when i forgot to put it in once....

Chad989of2000

Thanks also for all the advice/questions guys. I really appreciate everyone chiming in. The gears are turning in my head and I've come up with a few tests to sort this issue/issues out.

1) Compressions Test
2) Swap In Hallman MBC
3) Check and Re-torque Head Bolts
4) Drive Off Cliff

Keep those ideas coming fellas.

BPU925

4 sounds like a horrible idea.....lol

Chad989of2000

Quoting BPU925:
wat size spring u got in the external?....u got this piece in there?(pic).....this caused really bad spool when i forgot to put it in once....

Yeah, I bought the external brand new (Tial 38mm). The turbo acts/sounds like it should, but the power is just not there. Don't get me wrong the car made decent power at low boost so the turbo is working...something is just failing under those heavy loads...it can never be easy.

Chad989of2000

UPDATE************

Compression Test Done. Numbers are:
1- 152
2- 152
3- 153
4- 159

So a little variance, but everything looks to be within spec.

*Note: Sparkplugs all had white electrodes and were black at their bottoms, don't know what this means (only 2 weeks old).

**Next: Rewire HKS EVC EZ...followed by replacement with Hallman MBC.

BPU925

are u running link?....could u post up a log....im curious to see wat kind of timing ur running....

Chad989of2000

No link here...Stage 3 chip for all current mods and a SAFC to dial in correction.

RedTwo

Toppping out boost at 15 psi sounds like a leak somewhere. Normal spool should rule out the exhaust manifold connections. What spring pressure does the wastegate have? Have you tried free boosting (briefly) the turbo?

Chad989of2000

Have not yet...after I try to swap the MBC in for the EBC, I will give that a try and see if I can get a different number.

belize1334

Quoting Chad989of2000:
Boost comes on real fast...I'd say between 3k and 3.5k. I don't know how the external could be hooked up wrong. If I turn off my boost controller I doesn't build much boost at all.

Depending on the spring you have, it should not be possible to run less than about 10psi. If turning off the boost controller has you running less than that I would begin to suspect a leak in the waste-gate. Is it on the manifold or is it an o2 housing design?

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

^^^Tested that earlier today. Turned off the boost controller and car would only boost just over 10psi. External is also located on the manifold.

belize1334

If you're getting 10psi by 3k rpms with the EVC powered down then the wg and turbo should be fine. If it takes more like 4k rpms to get 10psi then I'd say you have a bad leak somewhere. But at 3500 rpms your only making about 130ft-lbs which is low even for 10psi. Have you set the timing? Did they monitor your AFR at the dyno? Does the boost level change abruptly at 5200 when the power starts to fall off?

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Boost level stays the same (~15psi) to redline, though power definitely drops off after 5200rpm. You can hear the turbo continue to spool like mad and the intake pulling in massive amounts of air, but the car just has no go.

BPU925

it sounds like ur car is really retarded.......timing retarded...lol....can u plug up a palm logger and see wat kind of timing ur running?

Chad989of2000

If the timing was retarded (which I have experienced before in my other car) it would be slow from a start and have a really late and strong top end. My car is perfectly fast from a dig, but just teeters out up top.

belize1334

It may feel fast from a dig but you should be making WAY more torque at 3500 for 15psi on that turbo with good supporting mods.

Chad989of2000

I believe I am though...in the lower gears...the power loss only seems prevalent in the higher gears (greater load). Wish I had dyno numbers and a chart for every gear.

prestonztt

Yeah, I would defintiely ripp that HKS Boost Controller out. MBC's are so simple and fool proof.

It might be that High Flow Cat that you have. Ive seen alot of cars on the dyno have a restriciton from a "so called" High Flow Cat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned