The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DRIVER SIDE E-BRAKE CABLE

MellowVR4

Ok im replacing my calipers and i cant get the e-brake cable on the caliper. it wont let me pull it far enough to hook it up to the caliper. i dont know if i need a new one or i just need to mess around with the cable a little bit to free it up. not sure let me know please, thnx.

Rausch

Have you adjusted it at the handle at all?

It *should* return to the normal disengaged position on it's own, and take a touch of leverage to disconnect. If it's not returning all the way, it may be seizing.

Edit: Here is AN adjustment procedure:

Pull parking brake lever with a force of approximately 45 lbs. and count number of clicks. Lever stroke should be 5-7 clicks.
If parking brake lever stroke is not within specifications, proceed as follows:
Remove center console, then loosen adjusting nut on end of cable rod to free parking brake cable.
With engine idling, depress brake pedal several times and confirm that the pedal stroke stops changing. If pedal stroke stops changing, it indicates that automatic adjusting mechanism is functioning properly to adjust clearance between pads and disc to correct value.
Ensure parking lever on caliper side is in contact with the stopper.
Turn adjusting nut to adjust parking brake lever stroke to specified range. If number of brake lever notches engaged are less than specified value, cable has been pulled excessively and failure of the automatic adjuster mechanism may result.
After adjusting lever stroke, raise and support rear of vehicle. With parking brake lever released, turn rear wheels to ensure rear brakes are not dragging.
Ensure parking brake lever on caliper side is in contact with the stopper.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

yea I tried messing with the ADJUSTER but it didnt make a difference. it might be getting seized but can i free it by messing with it

Rausch

Wha?

If it's starting to lock up, freeing it up now is just delaying the inevitable.

MellowVR4

so just get a new one

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/werdrun.gif

MellowVR4

how hard is it to change a cable

raptorWagon

It's easy but just a PITA to get to the bolts under the heatshield above the driveshaft that hold the cable to the car. Can check out this thread where a member had a difficult time with a bolt as well as some tips for removal with pictures.
click

MellowVR4

my heat shield was rusted out so i removed it, but i might play around with it to see if i can get it free before buying a new one. cause my passenger one works fine, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif will see.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned