The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drive Shaft

clevr4

I known its been asked a lot in the past, i have used the search option.

but what is the opinion these days on drive shaft options. i ask because i know i need to replace one of my carrier bearings, pretty much in pieces. i figured i could do a whole rebuild or i could wimp out and buy the rebuilt one somewhere. thoughts?

EMX5636

Only options are DSS aluminum, and rebuild your stocker. Unless you have a local shop that will build you a custom chromoly one.

galant0933

I just had to deal with this.

There's rebuilt ones on ebay for about $500 and I've had a local driveshaft shop quote me the same to rebuild mine.

With either of these options though, I doubt they're using mitsu parts. I ended up just rebuilding mine myself using the mitsu parts I bought from jnz and some guidance with the youtube vids. I bought the 2 carriers, 3 recall flanges for u joints and a couple of the one time use washers and nuts.

My original one was tough getting apart at the lobro, but luckily a local member sold me his spare rebuilt one at MOD. I just replaced the joints and carriers for good measure since I already had them.

If I had to do it again, I would of just dropped off my original one at the machine shop to seperate then rebuild.

EMX5636

^ this. If you rebuild it, please use Mitsu parts. Normally I'm not so pro-OEM parts, but in this case, aftermarket U-joints just don't hold up. I've seen many broken ones. Carrier bearings you might be able to get by, but definitely don't skimp on the U-joints. Also, I don't believe the parts are available to rebuild the Lobro joint anymore. JNZ is your best bet for all the rest though.

A press is almost essential for getting them apart. You can usually use a vice or C-clamp (or the ball/u-joint tool that some stores rent) to install, but they are definitely tough to press out.

marvinmadman

I used a rental ball joint c press and didn't have a problem with the old joints or new joints.

BENE38A

When I did mine I used a vice and some sockets to push the u joints out, it worked fine it was surprisingly easy I think the hardest bit was holding the shaft in place while torquing the nut to some ridiculous number.

galant0933

Yea, the u joints were not a problem. The hf press is only 100 or so, but you could just rent the the clamp tool from the parts store.

Getting to the carriers was much more difficult.

galant0933

Also, the lobro assembly was available for purchase from jnz, but not the boot seperately. The assembly is 250+, so be careful with it. There shouldn't be any reason to take yours apart unless the boot was torn.

clevr4

this is good advice from all. I am kind of dreading the process, im capable of doing all that was in fro videos but i dont want to prove it ha, thats a big price tag for something thats working , just the carrier rubber is mangled. i think its the rear one. now i have an excuse to send out my ecu for v3 ecmlink, and i can take my time with the driveshaft. thanks all.

prove_it

I'm sure there is a driveshaft shop around your town that might be willing to look at it. If you need new U-joints, just order the recall kit and take the joints out. It saves a big chunk of money on the joints.

matt92vr4

I get a thumping sound from the rear under wot at higher boost levels. Is this the driveshaft? I always thouhht it probably was. Anyone running the dss unit? I have a 1 piece carbon fiber on the stealth and its been great.

thomcasey

Yup, that is the usual "thump" that is caused by worn carrier bearings. Rebuilding the driveshaft is really not that hard. I used a c-clamp, some sockets, pliers, allens, a drift and a brass hammer. I rebuilt one in the front yard while my wife gardened. Took 2 hours, no issues over the last 3 years.

strokin4dr

I've experienced that same sound on a few occasions. Was consistent for a week or so then went away.
Let me know if you figure out the cure for yours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts