The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Draining the fuel tank

AWDnoobie

I havent done this to a galant specifically. But it would work pretty good anyways. Since the fuel pump is easy to get to. Get a inline pump and siphon the gas out through the fuel send unit cover. That should get most of the gas out for you

DR1665

Crawl under the car, driver's side. There's a larger drain bolt in the bottom of the fuel tank. Pretty straight forward.

If you've got bad gas in there, consider pulling the fuel pump out and then pouring the fuel you just drained out back into the tank through there to flush anything out from sitting too long. (Just put a second catch pan under the drain.)

EDIT: Remembered I had a picture from when I did this last summer on Tarmac-and-Gravel.com

Last edited:

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I don't have bad gas, well it wasn't bad. It's been sitting for a while so I know it's bad now. I doubt the stabilizer worked *THAT* well.

Can I pull the pump from the top or do I need to drop the tank? Should I replace the fuel sock on the pump?

Barnes

You pull the fuel pump from the top. There is a black cover plate that covers another cover plate that covers the top of the fuel pump assembly. (say that 3 times fast) You will see the top of the fuel pump assembly and all the lines going to it. You will have to disconnect the fuel lines going to the assembly, and undo the 6 (I think) nuts that hold it to the gas tank studs. Depending on how rusty it is, you might be in for a really shitty day. I recommend lots of Liquid Wrench, and some flare wrenches for the fuel line.

raptorWagon

You can remove it from the top, if you pull the carpet up in the trunk you will see a cover over the Fuel pump sending unit. Remove that and the disconnect the harness, to gain access to the sending unit. There are six small nuts that hold it down (8mm I believe).

CarRacer

There's an access plate under the trunk carpet on the left side of the trunk area. If your car has rust issues, prepare to douse that entire fuel pump area with rust penetrant and use a good six sided socket to unbolt the assembly.

Barnes

LOL! Simultaneous post trifecta!

Thanks guys!

And this is why I love the Galant community so much. It reminds me of the Turbo Buick community.

Both groups remind me of Going Fast with Class!

Terry Posten

Quoting Ttop87GN:
Thanks guys!

And this is why I love the Galant community so much. It reminds me of the Turbo Buick community.

Both groups remind me of Going Fast with Class!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifBut we are better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do appreciate all of the help. It's kind of different being the FNG again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned