Yeehaa!!! Its time for an update.
After Porting and polishing the heads, I lapped the valves. I found a "Holts" valve lapping kit that has the lapping handle and two different grit pastes, Course and Fine. It left very nice looking seats. I then gave the head a final and thorough cleaning before installing the valve train.
I did not replace the valve guides, I hope I dont regret it.
I took the opportunity to upgrade to ARP head studs. And BC1100 valve springs.
One thing I found with the ARP studs was that the washers needed to be installed prior to dropping the head onto the studs/block. With the studs protruding through the head the valves springs prevent you putting the washers onto 4 of the studs! (2 corner and 2 center studs)
After lifting the head, fitting the washers and dropping it again I thought it would be plain sailing. Not so.
The nuts for the ARP's have a larger outer diameter that the factory bolts and they get hung up on the valves and the hardened valve seat washers. When tightening the nuts down the valves would flex out of the way but the seat washers actually cut the outer edge of the nuts and removed metal from them. You can see it in the photos. I spent quit a bit of time with a pick and a magnet removing the shards of steel from around the studs.
Any way I got it done and then started fitting "THE REST" of the engine back together. I installed the head with the intake manifold attached but left the exhaust manifold off. I replaced the turbo stud with a bolt so thought adding it after would be easy enough. Accessing the lower manifold studs to put the nuts on and tighten them down was a bitch, no access for the tourque wrench but I could gauge the correct torque with my arm on some of the upper nuts first. Good enough.
Thats all the pics I have for now, I actually got it all back together, filled it with fluids, fired the car up and took it for a 40minute drive today.
It runs great, idles better than it ever did and no leaks or funny noises. Pulls cleanly to redline and hits 10psi of boost at 2500 rpm in 3rd gear. I couldn't be happier!
This was a big job for me as an mechanical amateur, getting it together and running first pop with no issues is an absolute win in my books. Once I give it a wash ill post some pics of the car in its new found glory.