The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Do you really need hood insulation?

spoulson

Several months ago I removed the hood insulation because it was tattered and falling down. I've noticed over time that when it rains, it steams off the hood. The first time I saw this, I swore I busted a coolant hose. This is likely because I'm missing the exhaust manifold heat shield. I have a new one, but it's going on with a 2G mani in the near future. The stock mani has a broken off bolt on top, so I don't really want to have a rattling heat shield.

The question is, am I going to burn off my paint if I keep this up?

What can I do about it? Does anyone sell hood insulation I can replace?

i dont have hood insulation , and mine does the same thing in the rain when its cooler out..i already had some dude at the mall yell over at me hey man your cars on fire...i just laughed

GVR4_1057

JNZ still sells the OEM part . It is 30 something bucks. I just got 1 a couple months back.

Struc

I had mine falling down as well. Looked like crap. I bought some of that 3M spray sticky glue, and it's holding up there just fine now. Course, for the $6'ish it cost, that $30 price from JNZ doesn't sound too bad either.

VR4coop

I put some reflective heat stuff on mine, right above the area of the exhaust manifold. Mainly did it for when I had the DNP header. I will take some pics tonight.

Thanks
Clint

CarRacer

Doesn't dynamat make a heat reflective material?

14bCrazy

I bought mine new one from JNZ as well. It looks really good to have a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GVR4_1057

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

14bCrazy

Quoting blacksheep:
^^^^^ till you get deer guts on it somehow - its gonna happen. You know it!

Not if I don't drive it. That's my plan to keep it running. You know look at it and clean it every weekend. I might even start it once a month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

turbowop

I haven't had the underhood insulation for a looooong time now on 1051. I didn't have it on the factory hood, nor do I on the JDM hood. I've never noticed any problems due to heat. I do have the manifold heat shield installed though.

GVR4_1057

What do the JDM hoods have for insulation? Similar to ours with a hole at the vents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

VR4coop

This is what I have done. Double layered some heat reflector.

Thanks
Clint

cspetros

^^What kind of material is that, and where did you get it? (Is it Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

Last edited:

belize1334

My manifold has a heat shield so I had mine off for a while just 'cause I think it's cumbersome. I put it back on when I noticed that the hood got really hot over the timing-belt area. It definitely steamed in the rain.

Last edited:

VR4coop

Quoting cspetros:
^^What kind of material is that, and where did you get it? (Is it Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

Contrary to popular belief, no its not Aluminum Foil. haha. I honestly forget where I got it and exactly who made it. I put it on over 5 years ago.

I will do some research and repost if I remember.

Thanks
Clint

Rausch

Quoting CarRacer:
Doesn't dynamat make a heat reflective material?

YES: (last I looked) you have a few options. They make a hood liner, as well as the upgraded insulating material with a foil face. Good to a decent temp (I'd have to look again). I have a couple rolls of the latter that I bought like 10 years or so ago.....wonder if it's still good. It was expensive though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned