The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Differences between a 14b and a 16g

So I have a hodge podge of turbo's around my garage and would like to piece together one operational one, but dont know which parts I am allowed to mix between a 14b and a 16g.

I have a solid "cartridge" from a 14b, but the impeller wheel on the intake side is pretty bad looking. I also have a 16g that smokes like a fog machine, but its impeller wheel looks great. I know the wheel is bigger for the 16g, but if i use the 16g impeller wheel along with the 16g intake housing will that mate up with the rest of a 14b?

Thanks in advance

ktmrider

VFAQ is your friend, specifically the RRE posts, has ALL the info you are seeking.

Thank you good sir. I was pa-rousing their site, but ill look at the RRE posts specifically....

89Mirageman

There are also some great write-ups on DSM Tuners for rebuilding the TD-05 Mitsubishi turbos.

H05TYL

link?

yea, i was already using those:

click

click

and the short answer to my original question is no....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ktmrider

Quoting 92Galant926:
Thank you good sir. I was pa-rousing their site, but ill look at the RRE posts specifically....

Well I thought there was more on RRE but it was pertaining to the "Killer" hybrid stuff.
Like you already found there is no PnP swap between the models... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Quoting 92Galant926:
yea, i was already using those:

click

click

and the short answer to my original question is no....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

with some machining, it IS possible though, lol, i've done it

Yea, it looks like the only thing you would have to change is the plate that the impeller wheel sits up against when you bolt it on. The 16g wheel just doesn't sit all the way down in that grove that is in there....

I was able to piece together a complete 14b after all though, and after the rebuild kit the shaft play feels great. Ill keep you posted on how it runs once its on the car. I may buy a rebuild kit for a 16g I have laying around if this works well.

prove_it

It can be done, but unless you balance the turbo it won't have a very long life.

H05TYL

My home rebuilt 16G has done >20k miles so far, I just scribed a line on shaft/nut/comp wheel and lined them up on re-assembly.

However it has been stated on teh internets that on mitsu turbo's the components are balanced separately, in which case it wouldn't matter. However this is un-confirmed and as such could be a load of bollocks like most "facts" on the internet.

I think He was referring to having to balance the turbo if you were doing machining, and combining a 16g and a 14b. I didn't replace any of the spinning parts in my rebuild, just bearings and seals, so I doubt that needs to be balanced.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned