The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

definition of insanity

broxma

Another issue has popped up. It started. The last post about the compression got me thinking about it. I thought it might be that while it has compression enough to keep it running, it is very low (90 or so). Maybe since the rings and everything else is brand spanking new, if I crank the hell out of it it will heat up and expand the rings enough to kick it over. After about 45 seconds of straight cranking it started. It eventually evened out the idle a bit and i took it down the road. I am popping the coils off again to re do the compression test on what should be a heated motor. I assume the break in will take a while given the mileage per day I am currently able to put on it.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

TL;DR - Might have been low compression due to recent rebuild. Solution, crank a lot longer.

/brox

I have 49 miles on 1947's complete rebuild and haven't had any of the issues you speak of. Compression is normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

broxma

I'm at 1.7 miles but I am starting to wonder.

/brox

Olson

weird
when i rebuilt 338 i didnt have that problem, the only problem i had was keeping is alive. so i got pissed on night and ripped on it, since then its never had a problem idling.

prove_it

So once you got it running you didn't head out and seat the rings?

That's a critical break-in event you just missed. Read up on seating the rings, we have discussed here before.

broxma

Haven't even had a chance to do so. The car barely drives due to massive suspension alignment issues. Like I said, I am at less than 2 miles on the new build and will not have the time to do a proper break in until sometime later this week. Conventional wisdom tells me the break in occurs within the first 20 miles or so, so I feel I have time, unless you have different information that I do.

/brox

prove_it

The rings start to create the wear pattern the second the piston starts moving.
I've always tried to break it in within half an hour of run time. Gotta remember the engine doesn't truly count miles. You can idle for days and not go one mile, but it will wear during that time.

I'd tow it to a shop and align it first then once it runs head out and break it in. I doubt you'll have issues, but it's worth doing right.

Olson

Quoting prove_it:
So once you got it running you didn't head out and seat the rings?

That's a critical break-in event you just missed. Read up on seating the rings, we have discussed here before.

If this was to me.
I got the car started and had to stay in the car to let it idle for a few min. After that i would try and get it to idle on its own, couldnt. so i took it out and ripped in 3rd gear, cam back parked it and it idled just fine then

broxma

It has been running for about 20 minutes total at most. I have had it running for no more than a minute or so at a time. Once I get it moving a bit more reliably, I am going to warm it up, run it down to the alignment place and then run the dog snot out of it for 10 miles or so. The alignment place is less than a mile from my home. Once I can get the cylinder pressures up high enough to act on the rings I am fairly certain it will seal. If not, days worth of work to hone it out again, no big deal.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned