The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Defi BF gauges installed in A/C console ... new pics !!!

cheekychimp

Yiuwa, so are you going to offer to help with this? I've been thinking, it cannot be that difficult. I have the 1991 HVAC system with climate control. The buttons on the 1991 console panel and 1998 consle panel are almost the same. All I need to do surely is match up the wires so that when I push the fan speed button, or the floor vent button on the 1998 console it activates the corresponding fans and stepper motor for the doors on the 1991 HVAC underdash module. I can see that the sensors/thermostat might need to be swapped across though.

Your POR-15 is here by the way. If I ever get down to Tai Po to pick it up ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Yiuwa

It's would be my pleasure to be involved in the making of your 'Ultimate Galant' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can locate the service manual of your 98' Galant air condition system it's definitely a feasible proposition

Thanks for the help on POR-15. Will come to pay you when we meet next time

Polish

Hopefully these help some. It was more or less what I remembered. Do not let the first picture fool you into thinking the gauge will be tilted back that much, the panel mounts tilted way forward, I was holding it much closer to vertical. Thats just how you would have to mount the gauge to have it sit normal. Thats as far as you can tilt the gauge back as the panel is without modification. The gauge will not hold itself in either. I had to hold it, the hole is to large.

This pic is with the gauge pulled straight back and not tilted up like the first pic.

This pic shows the gap on top when the gauge is pulled straight back and not tilted back like the first pic.

This pic shows the gap on the bottom with the gauge tilted back, like it is in the first pic.

Last one showing the gap around a standard 60mm gauge.

It will need some modification for sure.

cheekychimp

Well, the orientation thing isn't something to be ignored and I will need to mock this up in the car to get some idea of how easy or hard it is to read the gauges from the drivers seat, but right now, I am really digging this ...

And one without the flash !!!

I think I will have to paint the bezels black ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif (just for stealth !!!)

The other thing I realized today is that if I leave the factory A/C on/off switch in this bezel (beneath the hazard light switch), I can wire it in to switch the A/C on and off even if the actual control unit is in the glove box. It will look pure factory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fastasleep

Looks like it was made for those gauges. Very clean.

holeshotmoe

Got a heat gun? Got a spare climate ctrl panel? I would find 3 pieces of pipe, wood, or whatever, having the same diameter as the holes. Push them through and then heat that plastic up until it becomes pliable. Simutaneously tilt all three rods upward and toward the driver...until you have the angles correct. Drop the heater and dump some cool water on the piece. Insert gauges. I used to re-fab all sorts of stuff like that...expecially pvc and plexi-glass. Granted you might have to practice to get the plastic flexible without burning it but I'm sure it can be done...unless of course the panel is metal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Another option is to find some thin-walled plastic tubing that the gauges will fit inside. Bore the panel holes out a bit...enough to accomodate three short sections of the plastic tubing at an angle. Now, epoxy the tubes into the panel at the desired angle. After drying, take filler (bondo or other) and press into the seams and smooth em up. Sand it smooth and paint. Ready for gauges.

Last edited:

steve

Damn you waste no time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Did you have your dash flocked?

mistaVR4

That looks great man! Now tyhat I don't have A/C anymore and my heater doesn't work I may do something very similar. Good work!

cheekychimp

Quote:
Got a heat gun? Got a spare climate ctrl panel? I would find 3 pieces of pipe, wood, or whatever, having the same diameter as the holes. Push them through and then heat that plastic up until it becomes pliable. Simutaneously tilt all three rods upward and toward the driver...until you have the angles correct. Drop the heater and dump some cool water on the piece. Insert gauges. I used to re-fab all sorts of stuff like that...expecially pvc and plexi-glass. Granted you might have to practice to get the plastic flexible without burning it but I'm sure it can be done...unless of course the panel is metal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The panel is plastic so the theory is sound, the only problem however is that orientation isn't affected so much by the holes as by the face of the panel. The bezels are actually too big to fit in the recesseses and so you end up with the gauges matching the orientation of the panel if you push them flush to it.

To angle them would require grinding away material until they could be slid right into the recesses and rotated/angled inside them. Feasible for sure, I'm just wondering if it is necessary. It doesn't look from these photos as if it will be difficult to read the gauges but since Stanford has actually done it and noticed a problem it would be a bit silly to ignore his advice.

Clearly the gauges are different and in terms of aesthetics, the Defis clearly fit much better. I still think it will need to be mocked up in the car and the readability of the gauges assessed honestly at that point. If they don't face the right way it will be time for a dremel or something. Having actually fitted the gauges, at least you can see that the areas that would need to be ground down do have enough material to make it a real possibility.

I did notice also that the A/C switch actually has three positions, on, eco and off. I think that it can still be wired up okay but it might be more complicated to do it that way. Alternatively, I can leave the last position for the ejector seat ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned