The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Curious: Flat Towing GVR4 w/ Another GVR4

DR1665

So I'm sitting here in a rally service park next to a friend's Blazer service vehicle. Just a 2WD Chevy V6 S-Blazer dragging a 2G Neon + tow dolly all over the southwest.

I'm seeing all kinds of sweet tow rigs this weekend, but wondering, could I install a hitch on 464/1000 and one of those whatchamacallit front tow hookups on 195/2000, which could double as a light bar. Thinking flat tow to minimize weight.

Most of the time, I'd just be dragging 195 across town to autox or HPDE, but do see myself rolling out to SoCal 2-3X a year.

Thoughts? Thanks.

EgonOlsen

Cant help you on an EU perspective. everyone and heir mother have tow on their cars. almost all galants here have them fitted.

But the rules are so here that about top they are allowed to tow is 1600kg MAX(if you bring the dude in that office chocolate cake and a hooker)
That aint really enough since the galant standard weigh around 1300kg? and you cant get a dolly on 300kg only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

but we have towbars a plenty. :p

I see our south of the border friends dragging one auction vehicle with another auction vehicle to mexico all the time. Some of the tow to towed vehicle combinations I see are quite humorous, sometimes scary, and occassionally downright dangerous. (one of the "benefits(?)" of being a truck driver)

But I have used 1G's to tow galants before, galants to tow toyota pickups, and other galants, and a honda civic.

I even used my old 1G to push an early 80's crown vic into a parking lot.

I can tell you that the clutch and brakes will get a workout. And if you're going to pull into socal, the turbo and cooling system will worked going up and down the sierra's.

mpt72

I see Toyota trucks pulling other Toyota trucks all the time going south on 5. Legally, you should be fine if you put a tow bar in and light the rear of the towed vehicle (brake lights, turn signals). Don't push your car too hard climbing hills, be gentle. These are rally cars, not hd rigs.

DR1665

Thanks for the feedback, gents. It might be a bit much to ask of 464/1000, given Prescott is a 5000ft climb up the mountain at 80mph, and the drive to SoCal events includes a barren wasteland desert with a solid stretch of hot climbing east of Coachella. Still, I'm liking the idea of fitting a tow bar to the front bumper support. I can see myself using the tow bar attachment points to also mount the light pod for night running, and just rent/borrow a truck to drag the car where it needs to go.

Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned