The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cooling Problems

deusamo

So I drove the car about 100 miles today and it was rock solid the whole trip. I parked it at a friends house, ate lunch (stayed there for about an hour), then drove home (about 10 miles). On the drive home, the temps started climbing. It was only stop-go driving for a mile or two, then it was freeway 70mph+. The car seemed to do better at low speeds for awhile, but I stopped twice to let it cool down. The temp is rock solid when it's sitting at idle, but any driving whatsoever causes it to spike. About 2 minutes worth of slow and easy driving will put the temps almost in the red. I noticed a few days ago that the car reaches operating temperature incredibly fast (2-3 minutes), but it has held a rock solid temp the whole time. It has a new radiator and new radiator cap.

Here are a few pics of the temp gauge. The first is after cooling off a little bit, and then the second is immediately after I shut it off, and then turn the key back on to let the fan run. It seemed odd that the temp dropped that much just from the engine not running.

deusamo

Yeah. The A/C fan doesn't seem to work, but the radiator fan works really well. I'm going to replace the thermostat and hope for the best. It probably hasn't been changed in forever, and it doesn't hurt to have a new one in there. When I get a chance, I'm going to try to get the a/c fan working and just wire it to a switch so I can turn it on whenever I need to.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is the system full? Possibly air trapped, or you are losing coolant somewhere under pressure and it lost some volume during the drive.

deusamo

Thermostat. So happy right now.

trunks

I was going to say those are classic thermostat symptoms. It's nice when it's a cheap fix /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned