The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cooked ECU - deep fried - with pics.

Turbo4door1

I emailed Tom Dorris from ECM Tuning, and am going to be shipping it off to them in the next couple days. From the pictures I sent him, he said it is close to, if not THE WORST he has seen the drivers burn up. He seemed optimistic that they can fix it.

I have been toying with the idea of updating to ECMLink V3 while they have it - but I don't really think I need to. The current version I have works perfectly, and for the small amount of mods I have, I'm just not sure I would get any extra bang for the buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'll update the thread with "after" pics and the results when I get it back (hopefully working and all cleaned up).

GVR4_1057

I was thinking that since ecmlink came out they have been getting the old dsmlink boards back like crazy from people upgrading. I think that even if your dsmlink board is trashed they should have a bunch lying around. I know mine is around there somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Turbo4door1

Got my ECU back from ECM Tuning today - all fixed up. They said it appeared to have actually been on fire - not just melted. I believe it based on the amount of smoke rolling out of the dash and the amount of soot on the board. They also installed an updated DSM Link Eprom for me that has all the latest bug fixes. They said the one I had in there was "REALLY" outdated. It worked - so I never messed with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It cost me two hours of their labor time, but I am confident they went through it and made sure everything was cleaned up and working properly. Guess we'll find out when I get time to put the car back together.

Here are a couple of the "cleaned up" pics:

Last edited:

strokin4dr

Awesome. Nice to hear that they were able to save it.

GVR4_1057

Sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dave does great work and it looks like you got your link updated too. Now get that thing back in so we can get the guys together again.

stevep

From the looks of the board around IC105 I'd bet that there are a few more wires on the bottom too.

Glad they could fix you up. I didn't think it was done for.

joec

I ordered a new IAC/ISC from rockauto.com and it was a Standard Motor Products one that actually had the embossed Mitsu logo so I'd guess it was OEM. Was about $75 and they usually have a 10% off coupon available.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned