The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

compressor surge still

Dialcaliper

Another vote for compressor surge - Are you still able to get full boost at other times, if you "nurse" the accelerator down instead of mashing it to the floor? Will it still build boost if you give it gas while running at 5000-6000 RPM?

Also, are you running an internal or external wastegate?

Any time you have an undersized turbine mated to a big compressor, the turbine spins up quickly at lower airflow, causing the compressor to stall. When it stalls, what happens is a rotating mass of air gets "trapped" in the blades, and spins with the compressor - meaning that it loses the ability to pump much air - new air cannot flow through the compressor. There is an added complication which is that once the wheel hits a stall condition, it won't revert as soon as it comes back into the region below where the stall happened - often it has to drop down to a much lower airflow level, almost as if the trapped air gets "stuck" in the blades.

Take a look at This Diagram. Look at the 69,500 RPM line. At 6-8 psi, you're at about 1.4 PR. What's probably happening is that you're flowing less than 12 lbs/min, and the turbine is trying to spin the compressor past that RPM line at low airflow levels - the compressor is trying to boost more than that 8psi, but it's being spun above the "surge line" (the air gets trapped instead of flowing)

If your BOV is actually fluttering, it might go something like this: When the stall happens, airflow and boost pressure drop in the manifold. Once pressure drops and the compressor starts pumping again, it creates a pressure pulse in the pipe, which the BOV "thinks" is a closed throttle plate, and pops open, venting pressure - which then causes it to close as the pressures equalize. Rinse, repeat. It's also possible that it's not fluttering at all, and what you're hearing is strictly the turbo.

Having the BOV open at idle is normal - any time there's less pressure in the manifold than in the IC piping (due to the throttle plate restricting flow), the BOV should be open, allowing air to bypass the turbo. Having the BOV open while the compressor is stalling of course makes it worse (moves left on the compressor map)

This is not quite the same kind of "compressor surge" that happens when you have a BOV that doesn't open quickly, or run no BOV, but it happens because the turbine is trying to operate in a similar range (high PR/low airflow)

If you are actually able to get boost by carefully applying the throttle, you're probably having surge problems. There aren't many easy solutions beyond replacing the turbo with a unit that's matched better.

Having the turbine wheel clipped might solve the problem, but that's a permanent change, and not guaranteed to solve it. (Clipping makes it less able to spin up at lower flows, but it reduces backpressure by letting a bit more air by the turbine).

Nursing the throttle up, and testing at high RPMs are the only tests I can think of that might tell you if surge/stall is indeed the problem. Try all the obvious things first related to the BOV (check for vacuum line leaks, replace the BOV spring, etc) If none of those work, start looking at the turbo. You might be able to find or borrow a similarly flanged turbo with a larger turbine/smaller compressor and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:

^
If you can read all that in one sitting, its right on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoostedAWD91

if i ease into the throttle instead of punching it is when i have most of the surging, im running a tial 40mm external wastegate

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

i talked to bullseye today and they confirmed that the turbo is known to surge without big cams and intercooler so they are gonna send me a new turbo cartridge to fit in the exhaust housing. I just have to pay for it up front and then when i send the old turbo back they are gonna refund me the money which is very nice of them to do

BoostedAWD91

I got my new T04B V-Trim turbo yesterday from Bullseye i got it installed this morning. Took it out for a quick test ride before work and it works great! So nice to finially have a turbo that works again.
Anyone else ever run the Bullseye To4B V-trim turbo from them?

BoostedAWD91

well i replaced the t04b h-3 which had horrible surge to where i could barely drive it without it surging and bullseye send me the t04b v-trim turbo which works alot better than the other as far as surging goes but im still getting compressoe surge from it. its always surging when im going up a steep hill or on the highway in 5th gear at 3200rpm and -10inHg of vacuum and if i try to accelerate just alittle bit it surges. could there be another problem causing this? i dont know if its just all of bullseye's turbos causing it or what. any turbo experts chime in

curtis

I ran a to4b v1 from turbonetics with a 48 a/r, 63 a/r and a bullseye housing and never had surge or stall effects with stock or the crower 272 but I also had an hks ssq vented back in. I've seen this happen on dsm's and wrx's with tial's. You might want to sell it off and get a hks or a synchronic

curtis

One more thing. What size is your intake pipe?

When I put the Garrett on mine I started with the stock factory upper pipe then a 2.5 elbow on the bottom , then a 2.5 all the way with a second gen meter, then a 3inch with a second gen meter, then 3.5inch every time response and spool went up.......... might want to get some diesel exhaust and fab up a larger intake

BoostedAWD91

Curtis i have a 3" Intake Pipe. David from Bullseye is the guy ive been talking to and dealing with and i just sent back the 1st turbo the t04B H-3 to them and he is gonna change it to the To4B M-Trim. He keeps assuring me that this will not surge but we'll have to see i guess. I really dont wanna have to keep swapping turbos out. I mean the V-trim thats i have on now works for 80% of the time ok, but still surges alot more and when it shouldnt. The V-trim has a 3" inlet on it and then M-Trim will have a 2.75" inlet.

Also i am running stock cams which he says shouldnt matter for the H-3 or V-trim but im wondering if thats whats causing the surging i have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

curtis

That fricking tial. My buddy fought his wrx until he just swapped out for an HKS and everything was fixed.

BoostedAWD91

u really think thats what it is? i wonder if the new tial q would be better... then i wouldnt have to redo my piping. every other setup ive used the tial with it worked great so who knows what the deal is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Lonewolf64

Tial is one of the best BOVs on the market and 99% of the time you see it fluttering is because the owners don't know how to adjust it and install the proper spring for their vacuum.

BoostedAWD91

the correct spring always isnt the best. I removed the correct spring and went with the next step down because the correct spring made it worse than the lighter spring so thats not always the case

Whistler

Based on your description, the surge occurs under acceleration, with the throttle plate open, under low rpm high load conditions. What does this have to do with the BOV? Address the root cause, not the symptom.
This turbo is simply not a good match for your setup. Change one or the other. Get a better turbo (MHI 16g) or eliminate the airflow restrictions. It could be an issue of cam timing or restrictive intercooler/piping/intake/etc... I have also seen similar issues in a car that had a motor swap and ended up with cams out of an AUTO.

Have you swapped out that spring yet? your bov should not open at idle, period.

as for part throttle low boost surge i had this happen
with a bullseye 57trim. i think once them big heavy
blades get moving it takes to long to "slow" them.
when you actually shift if you get right back on the throttle
I bet you never saw much vaccume on your gauge during the shift.

BoostedAWD91

i just ditched the entire bullseye setup and replaced with a t3 setup and never had any more surge problems. Its just the bullseye turbos that have these problems.

vrfour_nz

There many types of compressor wheels with different sizes,but also a influence is made by the number of blades on the compressor wheel.A compressor wheel with too many blades..normally a T04B 8 blade compressor with a inducer bore over 55mm will go into surge on a 4G63T.To clarify that is when the speed of the air produced by the compressor breaks the speed barrier,the problem would be worse the smaller the turbine housing was as it would speed up the shaft speed.Trim numbers of the wheel affect the equation too.Anyway to fix your problem a 6 blade compressor on the Bullseye turbo would make it work for you.

BoostedAWD91

well i gave bullseye 3 times to fix the problem and they sent me 3 different turbos to try and none of them worked so i just switched to a different setup. not saying anything bad about them, they definatly worked with me to fix the problem but unfortunatly they couldnt

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned