The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Compression lower after rebuild

sleepyvr4

Ok - went from 155-170psi on all 4 (checked twice) with a head warped 9 thousandths pushing coolant...

Had head trimmed 8 thousandths and cleaned, new topline composite headgasket installed and now:

145-150psi on all 4

bottom end and everything else the same. Head torqued to 75 ft/lbs on stock head bolts.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but I was at least expecting the same numbers...

???

Thanks fellas

Rausch

Timing correct? Did you have the valves lapped or something (valve sealing issue)? Headgasket thicker than what you expected?

Stock compression? Was the previous test dry as well?

sleepyvr4

timing is fine. machine shop guy said everything seats like a champ. 7.8:1 except the shaved head. All comp tests done after car warm/driven.

Rausch

Coolant/oil in the bores during the old tests maybe?

turbowop

Latest test done with motor full warmed up and throttle held wide open?

Either way, at least compression between cylinders is nice and close. The stock bottom end in 1051 only puts out about 145psi across as well.

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Could the head bolts be streched? Or headgasket too thick?

grocery_getter

Did you clean the carbon deposit on top of the piston when the head was off?

prove_it

If you were getting a reading of 170 before, then you had something in the cylinder like water or oil. No way a stock 7.8:1 engine builds compression like that. I get about 165 even on #715 with a new engine with 8.6:1 compression. I think your 145-150 reading is right on the money for a good strong stock engine especially a 4g63. IMO anyway.

gvr4ever

165psi is brand new stock compression. I'd want more then 145 on a rebuild. I've gotten 150-155 on cars with over 100K miles on them. I think 125psi is near or at the service point.

Try to gently break it in a bit, and try again in a month.

I thought a taller head gasket created more compression, not less. No?

prove_it

Quoting gvr4ever:

No, a taller gasket adds height in the combustion chamber, which lowers compression. 4G63's have blow-by, it's hard to say how good your rings and cylinders are.

GVR-4

Similar to Mark, my stock 7.8:1 ~120,000 mile engine gets right at 150 psi on all cylinders when at operating temp.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting gvr4ever:

Try to gently break it in a bit, and try again in a month.

He said only the head was removed. Bottom end was left intact so there's no need to break it in. Rings are already seated since the motor already has xxxx miles on it.

Thicker gasket will lower compression, not raise it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned