The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Compresion - pistons!?

fuel

If going over 1bar I would be inclined to use the MLS gasket. Just eliminates one more weakness.

My car is basically factory standard, motor refreshed approx 10,000miles ago with factory 7.8:1 pistons, new rings, bearings and MLS head gasket. I run approx 15psi of boost through the factory turbo now running a 20G comp wheel/housing and 7deg cut exhaust wheel. If I were the build the engine again, I would have gone with later model Evo pistons with a higher compression ratio to improve off-boost (and on-boost) performance.

how many mm MLS head gasket you use-1.29mm , or bigger?
what do you mean whit /to improve off-boost (and on-boost) performance/.?....

GSX_TC

What he means by off boost is when the boost gauge is at zero when you drive around, using your motors compression to get around. On boost meaning anything above zero on the boost gauge, higher compression would naturally decrease spool up time

Another qestion...
Will there be a problem if I put turbo pistons from 2 generation Eclipse 1997 year with a 7 bolt engine in to my 6 bolt 4g63 engine??....

GSX_TC

No that would not be a problem, in fact they would be better than the stock VR4 pistons because of their higher 8-5-1 compression. I'm running 2g pistons in my motor right now and it's nice.

/GSX_TC/-what head gasket you use in combination with 8.5.1 pistons? ...how meny milimeters?
That kind of pistons you use click

GSX_TC

I use the factory composite OEM head gasket with my 1grods/2g piston 6bolt setup. 15 pounds on an EVOIII 16G

fuel

if using 7-bolt pistons (ie from 2G or Evo) then you'll need to machine the small ends on the rods to accept the larger 22mm wrist pin. Otherwise buy some aftermarket forged rods which suit the 6-bolt crank and the 7-bolt pistons. Do NOT use 7 bolt rods on a 6-bolt crank.

Also I don't know why you keep asking about the thickness of head gaskets - ideally you DON'T want to change the thickness of the head gasket over stock size. Just stick with either OEM composite or a MLS of the same thickness. You want to control the compression ratio with the pistons rather than the head gasket.

I ask these questions because I'm not very familiar with the technical stuff .It is nice to learn from experienced people like you guys... thank you for this...
Now I understand that if I put 8.5 pistons/2G/is appropriate not change the thickness of the head gasket,and i can stay with the factory thickness...
And i DO NoT have to use 7 bolt rods on a 6 bolt crank .I will use my 6 bolts rods whit the pistons from /2G/ ...

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Never re-use any head gasket either

Yes...i will take new head gasket....but I do not know what head gasket....
The question is if i use 8.5.1 compression pistons...what exsacly head gasket should I use?? ...How thick must be? ...

GSX_TC

just use an OEM composite headgasket man, here's a few links to ones for a good price click and here click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned