The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Common cause of inner timing belt wear [Resolved]

manikbastrd

My Brand new timing belt is rubbing on something...It is on the valve cover side. Anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations on where to look first? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MX4

Have you had the oil pan off recently? Some of the bolts are longer than others and if you install them in the incorrect positions the longer bolts can make contact with them timing belt.

GSTwithPSI

Yep. Guarantee the oil pan bolt right below the crankshaft is too long. It's almost always the case when the wear is on the inside of the belt.

Does it look like any of these?
DSC02854.jpg

photo-710947.JPG

manikbastrd

Nope. Not the bolt. I always make sure to separate the bolts when I do the Oil pan. It is edge wear not the top of the belt. Thanks for the suggestions though guys! Keep them coming!!!

coyotes

Pics.

I have noticed some timing belts show part of the metal inside, but not all the way around the belt. My gates was like this when new

Vader

I do seem to remember seeing a few threads about this issue and it came down to the tensioner either being installed backward or the tension being off... just a thought, pictures of your particular belt would help though.

manikbastrd

I don't have any pics. I am leaning towards tensioner also, but not sure. I will redo it tomorrow.

manikbastrd

Quoting Vader:
I do seem to remember seeing a few threads about this issue and it came down to the tensioner either being installed backward or the tension being off... just a thought, pictures of your particular belt would help though.

It kinda seems impossible to install backwards...considering there are holes on one side and whatnot. It is in time still and holding fine, but it could be wrong...I will see tomorrow.

Wizardawd

Mine looked like that and I am currently changing out the hydraulic adjuster because it had gone bad. Lovely rattle noise was driving me batty. So good chance the adjuster is failing or tensioner is setup too loose.

Wiz

manikbastrd

I used all new OEM Mitsubishi Timing components, and tightened it quite a bit. I work at a shop and do timing like everyday. I don't know if it was for sure, but I think it was the plate between the balance shaft gear and the timing gear. flattened an edge on it and haven't noticed any new wear.

manikbastrd

I put it the correct direction...Its in perfect time, and the plate fit correctly on the rear cog. Also, there were marks on it from when it was on before. I know it was correct, and to top it off I took it off to re-verify it. It had a slight bend in it, which I corrected and now believe to have been the cause.

Wizardawd

Quoting manikbastrd:
I used all new OEM Mitsubishi Timing components, and tightened it quite a bit. I work at a shop and do timing like everyday. I don't know if it was for sure, but I think it was the plate between the balance shaft gear and the timing gear. flattened an edge on it and haven't noticed any new wear.

Now when you say tightened it quite a bit, you set the tension until the pin in the hydraulic adjuster slid effortlessly in and out correct?

Wiz

manikbastrd

Correct. The wear seems to have stopped. I am pretty confident that I had bent the backing plate for the crank gear and that had caused my issue. I am gonna mark this as resolved. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned