The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch pedal assembly

Brunoboy

I'm assuming now my clutch pedal assembly is bad, two slaves and two master cylinders, adjusted all the way to the last thread and my pedal has about an inch up top of no Pressure before the clutch even engages or disengages. I can't get my clutch to full disengage with new everything and an extended rod. Anyone take out the clutch pedal assembly? Is it hard ? And anyone weld it to fix the "slop" of a warn assembly?
-shane

GSX_TC

Eventually after about 190,000 miles the clutch pedal gets worn out, mine had got Soo bad that it wouldn't go in any gear anymore. Then i changed Them to new ones and bam works like new again. There's 2 pieces that u need to replace under there, the long clutch pedal and a small flange it connects too. All in all it's only about 25-35 bucks but they are a pain in the ass to change out because of the tight location. Some people do weld them though.

gramkrakr89

i've heard that welding is an effective way to keep it from warping and such... my pedal is getting pretty bad too, but I got some more travel out of it by adjusting the top pedal stop up a little more...

the pedal sits a little higher now, but with the proper master adjustment, it makes a world of difference for opening up that little bit of stroke needed...

of course if the pedal assembly is getting worn, it is best to replace or repair it

GSX_TC

Yeah man because once it gets to that point all the adjustment in the world won't help it if the metal in that flange is all boogered up. Just go to the dealer and order those 2 pieces, you'll thank me later

Brunoboy

ive been replacing masters and slaves like no other, I do have a XTD Stage 4 in it with the 6 puck unsprung disc for the past 12k miles. I adjusted the cruise switch out for more pedal play and adjusted the master rod out to the last thread with about an inch of the clutch pedal feeling no pressure. I assume my pedal assembly is done and the car itself has 221,xxx miles on the damn assembly.
-Shane

dsm10o0

Ted could weld that up. I remember him having that problem. Its a bitch to get to, I had to take the dash off of my old Sgt when it had that same problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Brunoboy

sgt? lol yea Nico, wanna come over and pull this out for me? ahahaha, jk, but i hope it doesnt take to long, i read many write ups on how to remove it. and I am pretty sure thats what it is.

GSX_TC

It'll take atleast 4 hours with all the crap you gotta take out under the dash, not to mention you will be upside down all up in the dash 100 percent of the time so a smaller person would be more ideal for this job.

Brunoboy

Started an hr ago all done except the master cylinder and pulling it out lol

Brunoboy

I can't remove it, I took the steering shaft off as well, how do I remove it out the back ?

GSX_TC

do u have the 2 new pieces or are you going to just have it welded? theres alot of stuff u need to remove under the dash in order to get the pedal assembly out. goodluck man

Brunoboy

i took off all the bolts, i took off the master cylinder, i took off the brake booster, i took off the steering column plus the steering shaft. i am going to take it out and see whats wrong with it. I cant even twist it around to get it out and if i pull forward its pulling the speed cable.... any help would be nice.
-Shane

cupajoe

I remember doing this a couple years back, its just a pita. Aslong as the bolts are all removed and you pulled the brake boost away from the firewall there should be nothing physically holding it back. Use a flat head to pull it away from the stud(Floor)then just keeping playing with it until you can rotate it out from under there. Good luck, I'm going to have to be doing this soon with my galant.

EDIT: Did you read the write up on dsmtalk from Taboo? If you need a link I can link it.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

link me please, there wasnt any pics i could find. also the brake booster only pulls out so far.

Brunoboy

so i got it out, the speed sensor was in the way, pulled for slack and the pedal assembly came out. it seems fine, no play, im having it welded anyways since its out, I dont want to ever have to pull this again.

GSX_TC

I'll Prob have mine welded in my other cars since its like a permanent solution. its the GST that i actually replaced the new stuff with.

cupajoe

Quoting brunoboy:
so i got it out, the speed sensor was in the way, pulled for slack and the pedal assembly came out. it seems fine, no play, im having it welded anyways since its out, I dont want to ever have to pull this again.

Sorry I'm a little late on the link, just got home. But glad you got it out and I agree might aswell weld it while its out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts