The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch master + slave, Eclipse or Galant?

Scott Y

JNZ has different listings for Eclipses and Galants, plus this site has multiple slave types listed in the how-to section. Color me confused; I think I should get the eclipse pieces, but I need to make sure. I'm pretty sure I can just get the eclipse pieces listed, but my paranoia made me make this post.

JNZ Galant
Master cylinder, 89-93: $131.80
Slave cylinder, galant 4wd 90-92: $66.70

JNZ Eclipse
Master cylinder, 90-94, all: $122.00
Slave cylinder, 90-94, 2.0l, w/turbo, 4wd: 66.39

From the How-To forum:
Master Cylinder (Eclipse) - MB555133 - $88.60 - $90.69
Slave Cylinder (Green, 20.64mm)- MD733227 - $$$ - $$$
Slave Cylinder (Pink, 19mm) - MD733623 - $49.21 - $50.37
--- what's the difference between pink and green slave cylinders? ---

Terry Posten

I just went to Autozone.

Lifetime slave (pn-12404) is $24.00. (I did just have to get a replacement but the first one lasted me 3+ years with a 3X Clutchnet/heaviest they make PP)
Lifetime master (pn-12443) is $42.00 and is still going strong after 3+ years.

The slave even comes with a new rod, bleeder, dust boot, and brass swivel coupler w/crush washers.

Scott Y

You've had great luck, unfortunately for me it doesn't work that way. Every time I try and save money or take a shortcut, I end up paying triple in money and time. My last clutch adventure, which I'm still fighting through, has so far cost me 3 tranny R&Rs, tranny rebuild, new flywheel, clutch, disk and fork, plus shipping back to SBC to have them measure their pressure plate to ensure that it is within spec. Everything 'looks' ok, but it doesn't work. Next thing to try is hydraulics. I am forcing myself to go OEM because the car has been on jackstands for a long time and I need to drive it and I am tired of troubleshooting and spending money.

Terry Posten

Do you still have the stock rubber line from the frame to the tranny mount? It could be bulging under heavy load and that can cause a poorly working slave.

Scott Y

No, I have the stainless line.
I took off a functioning but severely worn 2600/street disk + Fidanza for the SBC SS-X + Kevlar TZ+XAct. Because the 2600 setup was so worn, maybe the hydraulics are worn enough that while they seemed fine, they're not up to snuff for a brand new setup. Dunno, but the last things left for me to try are a new fork (ordered already) and the master/slave.

Street Surgeon

The reservoir on the galant master cylinder isn't as tall as the reservoir on the eclipse mc. I ordered a 1G AWD mc thinking they were the same and I had to use the reservoir of my old stocker and put it on the eclipse mc!

mikus

There's green, blue, pinkish-red, and gold at least out there. I'd guess green=blue, pink=red=gold. Difference has to do with the piston but I'm not sure what measurement.

Last time I read up on this I decided for the red (pink) Ordered it from JNZ and got the gold. Worked fine.

Last autozone one I got had a very short life, and even worse had the line on the opposite side from OEM. Was annoying to reroute (2x, had to route back when I got a proper one)

Street Surgeon

Quoting Scott Y:
Was there a clearance issue, or did you just want to maintain stock appearance?

I can't remember, I just swapped out the reservoir tanks on the top and it works fine.

Im not 100% confident in this cause i heard it from someone, but have never verified it myself but......

It it okay to use a slave cylinder from the eclipse as long as you have the master cylinder from the eclipse as well. I was told never to have one from one model of car and the other from a different model. The reason is that the piston diameters are different. The master pushes out a certain amount of fluid, and that is suppose to move the slave a certain amount based on the relative diameters. If you put a slave from a different model into your galant it might not extend as far, or over extend and pop out the end due to the piston size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

How reliable that information is or how much it really matters im not really sure on, but thats my 2 cents.

Quoting Scott Y:
Was there a clearance issue, or did you just want to maintain stock appearance?

There's no clearance issue. I'm using the master with the taller reservoir.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also, the two clutch master cylinders are the same, just different reservoirs. Same diameter.

The slave cylinder on GVR4s is where two different ones are listed. Since most people seem to have a problem of not enough clutch fork stroke, I recommend using the pink/red slave cylinder, since it is smaller diameter. I used that on mine.

Scott Y

Talked with JNZ. The slave cylinder p/n's have been superceded, they are now the same for the Galant and the Eclipse.
I ordered the Galant master and the 'common' slave, we'll see what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned