The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Civic radiator cap

Lucas03ES

So Ive got a civic radiator on my car (Bought it from Garfield, looks like it was an XSPower). The cap leaks coolant. I tried the 0.9bar that came on it, and a plain 1.1 dsm cap. The caps don't seem to have a very tight fit, is there an easy fix for this? Maybe another gasket on it? I just dont like leaking coolant all over my freshly rebuilt motor, and I would like to keep it inside where it belongs. Thanks dudes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

If all else fails, weld it closed, install a bleeder screw on the block-off plate and install a TEL t-stat housing.

cheekychimp

I've found it is not always the cap that is the culprit but a lousy quality/finished filler neck. And it isn't just a sign of a poor quality radiator. My expensive Koyo EVO III rad had the same problem. I had to replace it with another unit whilst I get the neck replaced or do as Terry suggested above and just weld it off and get a TEL housing.

marvinmadman

While I haven't used a civic rad on my galants, I've had an actual 95 civic with an aftermarket civic rad. I had issues with the cap sealing also. I ended up using a cap from my 90 civic, it fit better.

Lucas03ES

Well I ended up taking the gasket off of one cap and stacking it on the other. I drove it about 5 miles and it seems to be holding better. I guess I will see how it works out, and if there is a better cap I can put on there, or even an additional gasket just to make it a tight fit. If all else fails ill do what Terry said and weld it and put the dsm cap back on. Thanks for the help dudes

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned